Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I am trying to figure out how to use remote assistance. When I try to send
a remote assistance invitation, I get the message that "Your current system
settings prevent you from sending an invitation".

I can't figure out when to change these settings. The on-line knowledge
base does not help much. What do I do to configure this?

Thanks!
Brian

The Remote Desktop hosting feature is only available with Windows XP Pro.
You can only use Windows XP Home Edition as a client and not a host.

Perhaps the following Knowledge Base Articles will help:

HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&Product=winxp

Support WebCast: Using Windows Remote Assistance
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826769&Product=winxp

Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300546

Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Brian" wrote:

| I am trying to figure out how to use remote assistance. When I try to send
| a remote assistance invitation, I get the message that "Your current system
| settings prevent you from sending an invitation".
|
| I can't figure out when to change these settings. The on-line knowledge
| base does not help much. What do I do to configure this?
|
| Thanks!
| Brian

Senator

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005

I have the same issue as the person who asked the original question. However,
your reply talks about "Remote Desktop" which is not the same as "Remote
Assistance". Could we get an answer to the original question? Thanks

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> The Remote Desktop hosting feature is only available with Windows XP Pro.
> You can only use Windows XP Home Edition as a client and not a host.
>
> Perhaps the following Knowledge Base Articles will help:
>
> HOW TO: Configure a Computer to Receive Remote Assistance Offers in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;301527&Product=winxp
>
> Support WebCast: Using Windows Remote Assistance
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;826769&Product=winxp
>
> Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;300546
>
> Troubleshooting Remote Assistance Issues
> http://www.chicagotech.net/rdesktop.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Brian" wrote:
>
> | I am trying to figure out how to use remote assistance. When I try to send
> | a remote assistance invitation, I get the message that "Your current system
> | settings prevent you from sending an invitation".
> |
> | I can't figure out when to change these settings. The on-line knowledge
> | base does not help much. What do I do to configure this?
> |
> | Thanks!
> | Brian

Senator,

1. Right-click the My Computer icon in the Desktop
2. Select Properties
3. Click the Remote tab.
4. Enable the following check box and then click OK.

"Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer"

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting