Disk Defrag: Compress problem

Is it possible to Defrag with out compress or uncompress a area
of the disk that is used to run DOS programs???

The problem is: I was able to run DOS based programs before
Defrag & Compress of C drive, now I get a DOS window with "Unable
to read C:\ Drive" Error.

Alex,

Alex--

As to that error (what I got of it), I would Open your box up and remove and
replace the connectors attached to your hard drive(s) and at the motherboard
end as well. It may well be you just have dirty contacts. This could also
be a symptom of pending HD failure. I would run a chkdsk /r on that drive.

To be safe, I'd make a current back up of the essentials on your HD in case
of the latter.

I think if you use the defragger from (free trials both)www.diskeeper.com
or www.raxco.com you will have much less problem. Exec Soft(Diskeeper)
makes the watered down defragger that ships native to Win XP.

Chad Harris
_____________________________________

"abarna" <abar@rr.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to Defrag with out compress or uncompress a area of the
> disk that is used to run DOS programs???
>
> The problem is: I was able to run DOS based programs before Defrag &
> Compress of C drive, now I get a DOS window with "Unable to read C:\
> Drive" Error.
>
> Alex,

Chad Harris wrote:

The problem isn't with the drive. Disk Management reports that
the drive is Healthy. Check Disk reports no errors.

The problem is that using 'Disk Defragment' in the 'Computer
Management' program Compressed the drive to a NTFS format that
the Windows XP DOS shell program can't read.

I am only askimg if anyone knows how to *uncompress* the folders
that I have DOS programs in or what can I do to make the DOS
shell able to read the compressed drive format.

Alex,