Stuck in Safe Mode

I recently got on my bookmarks had gone missing. I restarted the computer to
try and recover them. So I pressed F8, and told it to restarted with the most
recent good settings. After choosing this option it put my display settings
in the sfae mode settings. So I can't get above the 8-bit color setting and
the 640x480 resolution. Everything else seems to be working well, except
that. What I'm wondering is how I can override that and get it back to
normal. Whenever I try to tell it to "Start Windows Normally" it still puts
me in that display mode. Please Help!

Thanks,
Andrew
7 answers Last reply
More about stuck safe mode

    Try this.Click Start/Run and type msconfig. Microsoft Configuration Utility
    will open up. Click on the Boot.ini tab and UNCHECK checkbox near " /SAFEBOOT
    ". Click Apply and ok.
    That should help.

    "gates" wrote:

    > Try this.Click Start/Run and type msconfig. Microsoft Configuration Utility
    > will open up. Click on the Boot.ini tab and UNCHECK checkbox near " /SAFEBOOT
    > ". Click Apply and ok.
    > That should help.

    Ok, so I tried that, but there is no Boot.ini tab. The tabs that show up
    are: General, System.ini, Win.ini, Services, and Startup. In the General tab,
    it has options for startup, which are set to "Normal - load all device
    drivers and services." I'm still stumped.

    Very interesting - If "every thing else seems to be working well..." you
    are not "stuck" in safe mode e.g in safe mode CD drives, etc. are not
    operational. I would suggest reinstalling video card drivers or the card
    itself through add/remove hardware. BTW - what about "System Restore and did
    you check status via Device Manager?"

    Hairy Liberal wrote:

    > I recently got on my bookmarks had gone missing. I restarted the computer to
    > try and recover them. So I pressed F8, and told it to restarted with the most
    > recent good settings. After choosing this option it put my display settings
    > in the sfae mode settings. So I can't get above the 8-bit color setting and
    > the 640x480 resolution. Everything else seems to be working well, except
    > that. What I'm wondering is how I can override that and get it back to
    > normal. Whenever I try to tell it to "Start Windows Normally" it still puts
    > me in that display mode. Please Help!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andrew

    Have you tried right clicking on the desktop, go to 'Settings' and
    change the 'Screen resolution' to whatever you had set and 'Color
    quality' to 32 bit?

    John

    "John" wrote:

    > Have you tried right clicking on the desktop, go to 'Settings' and
    > change the 'Screen resolution' to whatever you had set and 'Color
    > quality' to 32 bit?
    >
    > John

    That was the first thing I tried. My problem is that the "Screen Resolution"
    bar won't change, nor does it give any options other than 8-bit on the "Color
    Quality" pop down menu. It would originally only give me 4-bit, but I pressed
    F8 at startup and told it to load VGA Graphics on that menu.

    Andrew

    Hairy

    Try gates' advice from Administrator login.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Hairy Liberal" <HairyLiberal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > "gates" wrote:
    >
    >> Try this.Click Start/Run and type msconfig. Microsoft Configuration
    >> Utility
    >> will open up. Click on the Boot.ini tab and UNCHECK checkbox near "
    >> /SAFEBOOT
    >> ". Click Apply and ok.
    >> That should help.
    >
    > Ok, so I tried that, but there is no Boot.ini tab. The tabs that show up
    > are: General, System.ini, Win.ini, Services, and Startup. In the General
    > tab,
    > it has options for startup, which are set to "Normal - load all device
    > drivers and services." I'm still stumped.

    Thanks AJR,

    System Restore was actually one of the first things I tried. My earliest
    restore point, though, wasn't helpful, because the computer couldn't detect
    any changes since that point. I went into the device manager and reinstalled
    the video card drivers and that did the trick. I guess the computer put the
    display settings in the safe mode settings, but left everything else the same
    when it did the "Last known good configuation" startup. I actually thought I
    had redone the video card drivers already, but my mistake was that it was the
    monitor drivers I had reinstalled. (my bad.) Anyhows, as soon as I can get
    OpenGL to work again, my settings will be back to normal. Thanks again.

    Andrew

Safe Mode Windows XP