Anyone ever broken a playfield glass while playing?

I just moved my power supply wire to the "high tap" and I'm now hitting
the glass a lot more with the ball. My question is-is it possible to
break the glass while playing? If the ball keeps hitting the same spot
can the glass handle it or will it eventually break?

Thanks
Chas

I agree, I've never seen a pinball glass break from balls kicked
up...but it could happen. I think a bigger hazard is when handling the
glass outside of the cabinet. If you set it down on the corner, it
easilly breaks into tiny pieces in your hands. When I worked in the
arcade business, both my boss and I did it.

> just moved my power supply wire to the "high tap" and >I'm now
hitting the glass a lot more with the ball.

Check to make sure the targets and rubbers are not allowing ball
launches. New rubber and adjusted targets will reduce this quite a bit.

> My question is-is it possible to break the glass while >playing?

Very rare. I have never heard of anyone breaking tempered glass while
playing. I have video of a guy BEATING playfield glass with a ballpean
hammer

>If the ball keeps hitting the same spot can the glass >handle it or
will it eventually break?

It will handle it. Fix the airball problem first. Use the right
newsgroup second (much more info on this group) Rec.games.pinball.

I have broken one sheet of PF glass. ONLY set glass down on carpet on
it's edge. When it is your time to witness the "boom" of PF glass you
will not be able to stop it. Very strange stuff when out of a game.

Kirb

I've had the same thing happen to me. I was moving a glass bezel (plain
glass) and VERY carefully set it down on my basement concrete floor and
BOOM, it shattered into a million pieces the instant the edge of the
glass touched the floor!

I learned never to set glass down on a hard floor - ever. As suggested
in a previous reply, always set it on carpet or other padded surface
:)

-Commander Dave

"Dave Bush" <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> I haven't done it with a PF class, but I did have the glass that
> covers the screen in an Atari System 1 cabinet out while doing some
> work. It was cold, and so was the concrete I was setting it on. I set
> it down with the most gingerly touch possible, and it shattered in a
> million pieces in my hand.

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

That's the thing with hardened glass, you can never tell. Could go on the
next shot, or never, or somewhere in between. Wouldn't stress it. Pinball
glasses are easy to get. Any decenct glass shop can get a piece of glass
tempered. Easy if it hasn't got polished edges.

Commander Dave wrote:
> I've had the same thing happen to me. I was moving a glass bezel (plain
> glass) and VERY carefully set it down on my basement concrete floor and
> BOOM, it shattered into a million pieces the instant the edge of the
> glass touched the floor!
>
> I learned never to set glass down on a hard floor - ever. As suggested
> in a previous reply, always set it on carpet or other padded surface
> :)
>
> -Commander Dave
>
> "Dave Bush" <statman.onay.pamsay@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>I haven't done it with a PF class, but I did have the glass that
>>covers the screen in an Atari System 1 cabinet out while doing some
>>work. It was cold, and so was the concrete I was setting it on. I set
>>it down with the most gingerly touch possible, and it shattered in a
>>million pieces in my hand.

I think that it has more to do w/ the temperature differential than the
hardness of the concrete.

Regardless, don't set/rest tempered glass on anything hard or heat-conductive
of a different temperature.

lol I thought this was rec.games.pinball DOH!

Any ways, It's a solids n stripes pinball there are cups about 10
inches away and it just launches it the flippers aren't the cause. they
are just powerful :)

Chas