Turning on Windows Firewall

I keep trying to turn on Windows Firewall on my notebook and get the
following message why I can't turn it on. "Windows Firewall settings cannot
be displayed becasue the associated service is not running. Do you want to
start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service" I
click YES, although I have no idea what the ICS is. I then get a message
that it is starting the ICS and get the following message "Windows cannot
start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service". I
click OK, then that's it. I am unable to start the Firewall. Can someone
help me out here it's driving me crazy.

Inspect the Event Log (System) for more information on the Service failure.

How do I view the error messages registered in Event Log?:
http://www.winxptutor.com/eventlog.htm

You can try this command, which resets the Windows Firewall settings (for
Windows XP SP2)

NETSH FIREWALL RESET

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP