Galaga to Pacman adapter - Anyone have one?

Is it possible to have a Galaga boardset play in a pacman? Does anyone
sell a Galaga to pacman adapter?

John

Pacman power supplies put out AC (unless you have switchered it
already). You would need to modify your cab to put out DC voltages to
the galaga board, then you would need to do the DC modification to your
pac board.

L.

If the cabinet is re-wired correctly with a DC Pac-harness and
switcher, you can play both with no mods to the Pac-man PCB.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Scott Caldwell wrote:
> He could always build a DC switcher into the
> Pac to Galaga harness, so Galaga only gets
> voltage from the switcher, not the cabinet.
>
> Scott C.
>
> LouiSurfer wrote:
> >
> > Pacman power supplies put out AC (unless you have switchered it
> > already). You would need to modify your cab to put out DC
voltages to
> > the galaga board, then you would need to do the DC modification to
your
> > pac board.
> >
> > L.

You just potentially fried his galaga board.

without the DC modification to the pac board, the board is basically
rectifying the DC voltages, thus lowering voltages on the board. To
compensate people are raising the voltage on the switcher to 6+vdc,
which is fine if you're running just the pac board in the cabinet.

But when you go to to switch to the Galaga board and forget that your
PS is at 6+vdc, your galaga board won't last very long.

If you're going to be switching the boards constantly you'd be better
off doing the DC mod to the pac which is easily reversable and just
jumpers a couple of diodes on the pac board. You won't have to mess
around with the switch PS voltages.

L.

LouiSurfer wrote:
> You just potentially fried his galaga board.

That is incorrect.

> without the DC modification to the pac board, the board is basically
> rectifying the DC voltages, thus lowering voltages on the board. To
> compensate people are raising the voltage on the switcher to 6+vdc,
> which is fine if you're running just the pac board in the cabinet.

With Bob's harness you power supply will run cooler and use less
voltage than it takes to operate a JAMMA PCB.

> But when you go to to switch to the Galaga board and forget that your
> PS is at 6+vdc, your galaga board won't last very long.

Your 5 volts will operate either. All you need is an adaptor for
redirecting lines.

> If you're going to be switching the boards constantly you'd be better
> off doing the DC mod to the pac which is easily reversable and just
> jumpers a couple of diodes on the pac board. You won't have to mess
> around with the switch PS voltages.

Like I said. If the cabinet is re-wired correctly, all this would be
unecessary. With a DC Pac harness(from Bob Roberts) installed in the
cabinet, you can switch back and forth between your Pac-man and Galaga
PCBs without having to adjust your power supply or do any mods to any
PCBs. The OEM wirng in these cabinets is totally inadequate.(Even for
AC).

I can run my DC or AC Jr.Pac-man PCBs in the same cabinet just by
switching the main harness connector from one PCB to the other. Bob's
DC Pac harness allows this. You can use an adaptor to any standard DC
game PCB without having to do any mods on any PCBs(including the
Pac-man PCB). The power supply will run as cool as possible without
needing any adjustment when switching between PCBs.

None of this can be done with the *original* wiring in the cabinet.

I learn all this from Bob ROberts and it works just as he said.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
:
: LouiSurfer wrote:
:> You just potentially fried his galaga board.
:
: That is incorrect.

No, that is exactly correct.

:> without the DC modification to the pac board, the board is basically
:> rectifying the DC voltages, thus lowering voltages on the board. To
:> compensate people are raising the voltage on the switcher to 6+vdc,
:> which is fine if you're running just the pac board in the cabinet.
:
: With Bob's harness you power supply will run cooler and use less
: voltage than it takes to operate a JAMMA PCB.

No, dumbass, it takes higher voltages... due to the diode drops on the AC
inputs, you need to run the +5V and +12V about .6-.7V higher to get the
correct voltages on the board. Of course, bob's adapter may run the +5
through the +5V output for the coin multiplier PCB, which puts all 4A of
current through a single pin instead of spreading it across 4 pins, which
is a patently bad idea, since a single finger isn't rated for current
that high.

:> If you're going to be switching the boards constantly you'd be better
:> off doing the DC mod to the pac which is easily reversable and just
:> jumpers a couple of diodes on the pac board. You won't have to mess
:> around with the switch PS voltages.
:
: Like I said. If the cabinet is re-wired correctly, all this would be
: unecessary. With a DC Pac harness(from Bob Roberts) installed in the
: cabinet, you can switch back and forth between your Pac-man and Galaga
: PCBs without having to adjust your power supply or do any mods to any
: PCBs. The OEM wirng in these cabinets is totally inadequate.(Even for
: AC).

Bullshit. 18 GA wire is more than sufficient for the ~1A that flows in
each wire fom the power supply.

Come back when you actually have any clue what you're talking about.
(ie. never)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Mark C. Spaeth wrote:
> Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> :
> : LouiSurfer wrote:
> :> You just potentially fried his galaga board.
> :
> : That is incorrect.
>
> No, that is exactly correct.

Perhaps MIT has warped you more than I originally thought.

> :> without the DC modification to the pac board, the board is
basically
> :> rectifying the DC voltages, thus lowering voltages on the board.
> :> compensate people are raising the voltage on the switcher to
6+vdc,
> :> which is fine if you're running just the pac board in the cabinet.
> :
> : With Bob's harness you power supply will run cooler and use less
> : voltage than it takes to operate a JAMMA PCB.
>
> No, dumbass, it takes higher voltages... due to the diode drops on
the AC
> inputs, you need to run the +5V and +12V about .6-.7V higher to get
the
> correct voltages on the board. Of course, bob's adapter may run the
+5
> through the +5V output for the coin multiplier PCB, which puts all 4A
of
> current through a single pin instead of spreading it across 4 pins,
which
> is a patently bad idea, since a single finger isn't rated for current
> that high.

Who says that is what Bob's harness does? The whole idea behind the
harness is to "spread the current" and take the load off of the power
supply.

Perhaps you need to go back and study the pin-outs again, since there
must be a pin somewhere that you missed. :)

> :> If you're going to be switching the boards constantly you'd be
better
> :> off doing the DC mod to the pac which is easily reversable and
just
> :> jumpers a couple of diodes on the pac board. You won't have to
mess
> :> around with the switch PS voltages.
> :
> : Like I said. If the cabinet is re-wired correctly, all this would
be
> : unecessary. With a DC Pac harness(from Bob Roberts) installed in
the
> : cabinet, you can switch back and forth between your Pac-man and
Galaga
> : PCBs without having to adjust your power supply or do any mods to
any
> : PCBs. The OEM wirng in these cabinets is totally inadequate.(Even
for
> : AC).
>
> Bullshit. 18 GA wire is more than sufficient for the ~1A that flows
in
> each wire fom the power supply.

That's another thing. The original wiring harness I removed from two
Pac cabs used what I believe are 20 GA leads.

> Come back when you actually have any clue what you're talking about.
> (ie. never)

Since your "expertise" has resulted in some fried boards, perhaps I
should say the same to you.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.