Open & Save dialog box shows files in reverse alphabetic o..

I have searched Google and Kelly and asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
but can't find an answer. Maybe I have used the wrong terminolgy in
the searches? :-(

I am using Win XP SP2

When I open the SAVE or OPEN dialog boxes the list of folders and
files appear in reverse alphabetical order.

I have tried clicking on DETAILS then on the NAME heading and it comes
back to the right order but next time I open a dialog box it is back
to reverse order!

I have also tried right click in the dialog box and select Arrange
Icons > By Name

I have tried both the above with and without CTRL being held down

It happens in all types of programs, not just MS ones.

All suggestions thankfully received.
--
OzBo

While explorer is in the "My Computer" folder, set the View to your chosen style, then open My Computer, Tools menu, Options, View
tab, and click the button to make all folders the same.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"OzBo" <ozbo@invalid.invalid> wrote in message news:0hpl61dd96hn5uu38b7ol7ve1ou04tidbv@4ax.com...
>I have searched Google and Kelly and asked in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
> but can't find an answer. Maybe I have used the wrong terminolgy in
> the searches? :-(
>
> I am using Win XP SP2
>
> When I open the SAVE or OPEN dialog boxes the list of folders and
> files appear in reverse alphabetical order.
>
> I have tried clicking on DETAILS then on the NAME heading and it comes
> back to the right order but next time I open a dialog box it is back
> to reverse order!
>
> I have also tried right click in the dialog box and select Arrange
> Icons > By Name
>
> I have tried both the above with and without CTRL being held down
>
> It happens in all types of programs, not just MS ones.
>
> All suggestions thankfully received.
> --
> OzBo

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:06:34 -0500, "Mark L. Ferguson"
<marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>While explorer is in the "My Computer" folder, set the View to your chosen style, then open My Computer, Tools menu, Options, View
>tab, and click the button to make all folders the same.

Thanks for replying but I can't see how options in windows explorer,
which does not have OPEN and SAVE dialog boxes, can affect them.
Anyway, that does not work.

--
OzBo

Well it does, in fact it's the only way to change. But you need to Control + Click X on the title bar rather than Apply To All..

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:16:22 +1000, OzBo <ozbo@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>>On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:06:34 -0500, "Mark L. Ferguson"
>>><marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>While explorer is in the "My Computer" folder,
>>>set the View to your chosen style, then open
>>>My Computer, Tools menu, Options, View
>>>tab, and click the button to make all folders the same.

>>Thanks for replying but I can't see how options in windows explorer,
>>which does not have OPEN and SAVE dialog boxes, can affect them.
>>Anyway, that does not work.

> On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:10:01 +1000, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>Well it does, in fact it's the only way to change.
> But you need to Control + Click X on the title bar
> rather than Apply To All..

Thanks for reply, David.

Using CTRL + Click X on the title bar of the "OPEN FILE DIALOG BOX"
has worked!! Very grateful for that tip

But I still can't see that there is any connection between Windows
Explorer Folder Options and other programs' OPEN and SAVE file Dialog
Boxes. Going to Folder Options and selecting "View" tab then "Apply to
all folders" does absolutley nothing to the OPEN and SAVE file Dialog
Boxes for other programs even if I do close the options window with
box using CTRL + Click X

--
OzBo

I don't think it is working, some programs remember your dialog settings while they are running. You need to do it in a folder window opened in a FILE FOLDER (not My Comp etc).