TECH: Battlezone Spot Killer

Greetings. I am more of a pinball guy and this is my first attempt at
video game repair. So please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I have a Battlezone that has issues. I have been reading everything I
can find on the internet and have learned quite a bit. When I turn the
game on, I am getting the spot killer LED light. When I turn the
controls all the way up, I can see the dot on the screen. Yesterday,
when I turned the game on the video came up and I got to play a game!
But then when I turned the game off and back on the spot killer was
back.

So far I have checked all the fuses, reseated the chips on the boards.
I have cleaned the edge connectors with and eraser and reseated the
connectors on the monitor board. My monitor is the GO5-802.

Now when I put the game in self-test mode I get 2 short beeps then a
long one, which I believe means chip A2 is bad.

Can someone please tell me exactly how I can check for signal output?
I don't have a scope but I do have a logic probe. Also, what chip is
A2 and can I just go to the local electronics store and buy one?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Les

> I am more of a pinball guy

Dude, I really don't know if I want to help with a handle like that.
Being a pinball guy you must know what it stands for...

Kirb

Andre

Yes you're on the right track. The error indicates a bad RAM chip (2114) at
location A2. It's really hard to check the data lines (pins 11-14) with a
scope you almost need a Fluke 9010 or CAT box to test the data. You best
bet is just to replace the chip.

Another thing these boards are known for are bad sockets. Just a pain in
the ass. I got a BZ that I had problems with. As I tapped on the board it
would work for some time and then spot killer comes on again. I just
started to replace 1 socket at a time until it was solid.

Andre
www.arcadesolution.com

"gary-sparky" <trazedone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greetings. I am more of a pinball guy and this is my first attempt at
> video game repair. So please excuse my lack of knowledge.
>
> I have a Battlezone that has issues. I have been reading everything I
> can find on the internet and have learned quite a bit. When I turn the
> game on, I am getting the spot killer LED light. When I turn the
> controls all the way up, I can see the dot on the screen. Yesterday,
> when I turned the game on the video came up and I got to play a game!
> But then when I turned the game off and back on the spot killer was
> back.
>
> So far I have checked all the fuses, reseated the chips on the boards.
> I have cleaned the edge connectors with and eraser and reseated the
> connectors on the monitor board. My monitor is the GO5-802.
>
> Now when I put the game in self-test mode I get 2 short beeps then a
> long one, which I believe means chip A2 is bad.
>
> Can someone please tell me exactly how I can check for signal output?
> I don't have a scope but I do have a logic probe. Also, what chip is
> A2 and can I just go to the local electronics store and buy one?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Les

TRENDING THREADS