Mario Bros. on eBay..

How can you raise your own bid? (I.E. how can you bid against yourself?)

Jeff Destross wrote:
> On 5 Apr 2005 09:23:22 -0700, "ajcrm125" <ajcrm125@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >How can you raise your own bid? (I.E. how can you bid against
yourself?)

> You can raise your bid (bid against yourself) until the reserve is
> met. It looks like that's what happened here.
>
> Jeff

Couldn't you just bid up against yourself until you get above the
reserve, and then retract the bids you put in, in order to find out
what the reserve is set at on an auction?

Shilled. Why? I don't know, but I have seen it on a number of his games.

"Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Wish I could find guys like this when I sell games...
>

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13716&item=6168275898&rd=1
>
> $1000 for a Mario Bros? Second high bidder is at $250 - the high bidder
> went on a bidding rampage and looks like he just kept upping his bid..
>

> --
> -Steve P.

But that won't work, unless someone else has already bid above the
reserve amount, or if you bid with 2 names (and of course none of us
have multiple names on ebay:), since it will only outbid the highest
bidder and not the reserve (or am I wrong on this)

On 5 Apr 2005 09:23:22 -0700, "ajcrm125" <ajcrm125@gmail.com> wrote:

>How can you raise your own bid? (I.E. how can you bid against yourself?)

You can raise your bid (bid against yourself) until the reserve is
met. It looks like that's what happened here.

Jeff

Hmm, I did not know that. of course I don't recall bidding on too many
reserve auctions.

If the reserve isn't met, every time you bid, you can outbid your prior one.

"ajcrm125" <ajcrm125@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How can you raise your own bid? (I.E. how can you bid against yourself?)

Yes, but I imagine people would get pissed off at you fast.

:
: Jeff Destross wrote:
:> On 5 Apr 2005 09:23:22 -0700, "ajcrm125" <ajcrm125@gmail.com> wrote:
:>
:> >How can you raise your own bid? (I.E. how can you bid against
: yourself?)
:>
:> You can raise your bid (bid against yourself) until the reserve is
:> met. It looks like that's what happened here.
:>
:> Jeff
:
: Couldn't you just bid up against yourself until you get above the
: reserve, and then retract the bids you put in, in order to find out
: what the reserve is set at on an auction?

Just add 2 zeroes and retract saying you missed the decimal point (Oops I
bid $10000 instead of $100.00 ). That should tell you the reserve on
most auctions :)

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

RedWolfJC <redwolfjc@excite.com> wrote:
: But that won't work, unless someone else has already bid above the
: reserve amount, or if you bid with 2 names (and of course none of us
: have multiple names on ebay:), since it will only outbid the highest
: bidder and not the reserve (or am I wrong on this)

If you bid over reserve. your bid is set to the reserve and it's marked
reserve met.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu
Cambridge, MA 02139
(617) 452-2354 http://rgvac.978.org/~mspaeth

you have to remember just because "x" amount is on an auction, it does
not mean it sold or will sell and that the seller or bidder is legit.
it only counts when the sale is over and the seller has been paid:)

Yeah, if I see it has a reserve, I might watch it and see where it goes, but
I usually don't bid. Reserve auctions make absolutely 0 sense to me.

Ron