My Norton subscription is due next month. This means I have pop ups
and constant reminders to renew al the goddamn thing. All the bloody
time. It's like a virus.

While I like the security of Norton, I would like to piss them off as
much as they are now pissing me off.

I know this is impossible, but still, can anyone recommend some
equally good anti virus stuff that is not Norton?

Thanks in advance.

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Here's one to have a look at..
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php

--
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they
foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

"Derek Wray" <me@fakeisp.com> wrote in message
| and constant reminders to renew al the goddamn thing. All the bloody
| time. It's like a virus.
|
| While I like the security of Norton, I would like to piss them off
as
| much as they are now pissing me off.
|
| I know this is impossible, but still, can anyone recommend some
| equally good anti virus stuff that is not Norton?
|
| Thanks in advance.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:%23YPeeQHSFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Derek Wray <me@fakeisp.com> had this to say:

> My Norton subscription is due next month. This means I have pop ups
> and constant reminders to renew al the goddamn thing. All the bloody
> time. It's like a virus.
>
> While I like the security of Norton, I would like to piss them off as
> much as they are now pissing me off.
>
> I know this is impossible, but still, can anyone recommend some
> equally good anti virus stuff that is not Norton?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Sure and these are all free:

Virus:
www.grisoft.com - AVG
www.antivir.com - AntiVir
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

Spyware:
www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

Trojan:
www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
http://swatit.org/ Swat It

Before cleaning download this:

LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
and you can't connect to the internet.

From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
be enabled to update and scan automatically.

Galen