Filmstrip, Thumbnails, Desktop Image, Active Desktop: all ..

April 24, 2005 12:40:01 AM

I was trying to clean a virus from my machine, and ever since:
- Explorer will not display thumbnails or the filmstrip (even when the
option is selected from the View menu)
- I have a .jpg file selected as my desktop image but it only shows up when
my laptop is shutting down
- When I right click on my desktop, Active Desktop is no longer an option

I'm on XP SP2, IE v. 6.0.2900
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:15:06 PM

For Problem 1, type these commands in Start/Run dialog:

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

>> When I right click on my desktop, Active Desktop is no longer an option

I don't think such an option appears in the menu in XP.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MStineman" <MStineman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 507FCE5-D9A2-4B77-9299-F2786F3C4FDA@microsoft.com...
>I was trying to clean a virus from my machine, and ever since:
> - Explorer will not display thumbnails or the filmstrip (even when the
> option is selected from the View menu)
> - I have a .jpg file selected as my desktop image but it only shows up
> when
> my laptop is shutting down
> - When I right click on my desktop, Active Desktop is no longer an option
>
> I'm on XP SP2, IE v. 6.0.2900

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:15:07 PM

> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
> cannot find the file specified.

> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll
> succeeded.

> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
> suceeded.

.... still no thumbnails or filmstrip
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:15:08 PM

....but my desktop picture is back - Yeah!!!

--
MOLLY STINEMAN
"MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
>> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
>> cannot find the file specified.
>
>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll
>> succeeded.
>
>> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
>> suceeded.
>
> ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:47:58 PM

>> LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system cannot find the file
>> specified.

Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll from
XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder. Register the
DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:

---------------------------
RegSvr32
---------------------------
DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
>> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
>> cannot find the file specified.
>
>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll
>> succeeded.
>
>> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
>> suceeded.
>
> ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:47:59 PM

I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file (where it
already existed, so I replaced it) and then reran your command (regsvr32
shimgvw.dll) but am still receiving "LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The

>>> LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system cannot find the file
>>> specified.
>
> Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll
> from XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder.
> Register the DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:
>
> ---------------------------
> RegSvr32
> ---------------------------
> DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
>>> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
>>> cannot find the file specified.
>>
>>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in
>>> shell32.dll succeeded.
>>
>>> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
>>> suceeded.
>>
>> ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 1:47:59 PM

Additionally, when I click on the "Security Center" link within Control
Panel, nothing happens... all other links/buttons on that screen function as
designed.

--
MOLLY STINEMAN
>>> LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system cannot find the file
>>> specified.
>
> Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll
> from XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder.
> Register the DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:
>
> ---------------------------
> RegSvr32
> ---------------------------
> DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
> ---------------------------
> OK
> ---------------------------
>

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
>>> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
>>> cannot find the file specified.
>>
>>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in
>>> shell32.dll succeeded.
>>
>>> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
>>> suceeded.
>>
>> ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:14:24 PM

Try:

regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\shimgvw.dll
-or-
regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

>I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file (where it
>already existed, so I replaced it) and then reran your command (regsvr32
>shimgvw.dll) but am still receiving "LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed -
>The system cannot find the file specified."
>
> --
> MOLLY STINEMAN
>>
>> Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll
>> from XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder.
>> Register the DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:
>>
>> ---------------------------
>> RegSvr32
>> ---------------------------
>> DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
>> ---------------------------
>> OK
>> ---------------------------
>>

>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message

>>> ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 3:14:25 PM

The file is there (C:\Windows\System32\), and named properly (shimgvw.dll),
but when I run either of your commands I'm still getting "the system cannot
find the specified file"

--
MOLLY STINEMAN
> Try:
>
> regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\shimgvw.dll
> -or-
> regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
>>I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file (where it
>>already existed, so I replaced it) and then reran your command (regsvr32
>>shimgvw.dll) but am still receiving "LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed -
>>The system cannot find the file specified."
>>
>> --
>> MOLLY STINEMAN
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll
>>> from XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder.
>>> Register the DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:
>>>
>>> ---------------------------
>>> RegSvr32
>>> ---------------------------
>>> DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
>>> ---------------------------
>>> OK
>>> ---------------------------
>>>

>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:49:05 PM

>> I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file

May I know how you copied it from the XP CD? You actually need to extract
the file, not copy it.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> The file is there (C:\Windows\System32\), and named properly
> (shimgvw.dll), but when I run either of your commands I'm still getting
> "the system cannot find the specified file"
>
> --
> MOLLY STINEMAN
>> Try:
>>
>> regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\shimgvw.dll
>> -or-
>> regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
>>>I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file (where it
>>>already existed, so I replaced it) and then reran your command (regsvr32
>>>shimgvw.dll) but am still receiving "LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed -
>>>The system cannot find the file specified."
>>>
>>> --
>>> MOLLY STINEMAN
>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 11:49:06 PM

The XP CD that I have is the "Dell Operating System" disk... I did a search
for that file and then copy/pasted it.

I have no idea how to "extract".

--
MOLLY STINEMAN
>>> I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file
>
> May I know how you copied it from the XP CD? You actually need to extract
> the file, not copy it.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
>> The file is there (C:\Windows\System32\), and named properly
>> (shimgvw.dll), but when I run either of your commands I'm still getting
>> "the system cannot find the specified file"
>>
>> --
>> MOLLY STINEMAN
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Try:
>>>
>>> regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\shimgvw.dll
>>> -or-
>>> regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:31:08 AM

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
news:o KrNdXOSFHA.2748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> The XP CD that I have is the "Dell Operating System" disk... I did a
> search for that file and then copy/pasted it.
>
> I have no idea how to "extract".
>
> --
> MOLLY STINEMAN
>>
>> May I know how you copied it from the XP CD? You actually need to extract
>> the file, not copy it.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
>>> The file is there (C:\Windows\System32\), and named properly
>>> (shimgvw.dll), but when I run either of your commands I'm still getting
>>> "the system cannot find the specified file"
>>>
>>> --
>>> MOLLY STINEMAN
>>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 1:31:09 AM

I couldn't get that to work either... I uninstalled SP2 and reinstalled it
and all of my issues are now resolved

--
MOLLY STINEMAN

!