Filmstrip, Thumbnails, Desktop Image, Active Desktop: all ..

I was trying to clean a virus from my machine, and ever since:
- Explorer will not display thumbnails or the filmstrip (even when the
option is selected from the View menu)
- I have a .jpg file selected as my desktop image but it only shows up when
my laptop is shutting down
- When I right click on my desktop, Active Desktop is no longer an option

I'm on XP SP2, IE v. 6.0.2900
12 answers Last reply
More about filmstrip thumbnails desktop image active desktop

    For Problem 1, type these commands in Start/Run dialog:

    regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    regsvr32 /i shell32.dll
    regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll

    >> When I right click on my desktop, Active Desktop is no longer an option

    I don't think such an option appears in the menu in XP.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "MStineman" <MStineman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was trying to clean a virus from my machine, and ever since:
    > - Explorer will not display thumbnails or the filmstrip (even when the
    > option is selected from the View menu)
    > - I have a .jpg file selected as my desktop image but it only shows up
    > when
    > my laptop is shutting down
    > - When I right click on my desktop, Active Desktop is no longer an option
    >
    > I'm on XP SP2, IE v. 6.0.2900

    > regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
    > cannot find the file specified.

    > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll
    > succeeded.

    > regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
    > suceeded.

    .... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

    ....but my desktop picture is back - Yeah!!!

    --
    MOLLY STINEMAN
    "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
    >> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
    >> cannot find the file specified.
    >
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll
    >> succeeded.
    >
    >> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
    >> suceeded.
    >
    > ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

    >> LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system cannot find the file
    >> specified.

    Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll from
    XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder. Register the
    DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:

    ---------------------------
    RegSvr32
    ---------------------------
    DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
    ---------------------------
    OK
    ---------------------------

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
    >> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
    >> cannot find the file specified.
    >
    >> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll
    >> succeeded.
    >
    >> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
    >> suceeded.
    >
    > ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

    I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file (where it
    already existed, so I replaced it) and then reran your command (regsvr32
    shimgvw.dll) but am still receiving "LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The

    >>> LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system cannot find the file
    >>> specified.
    >
    > Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll
    > from XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder.
    > Register the DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:
    >
    > ---------------------------
    > RegSvr32
    > ---------------------------
    > DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
    > ---------------------------
    > OK
    > ---------------------------
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
    >>> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
    >>> cannot find the file specified.
    >>
    >>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in
    >>> shell32.dll succeeded.
    >>
    >>> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
    >>> suceeded.
    >>
    >> ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

    Additionally, when I click on the "Security Center" link within Control
    Panel, nothing happens... all other links/buttons on that screen function as
    designed.

    --
    MOLLY STINEMAN
    >>> LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system cannot find the file
    >>> specified.
    >
    > Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll
    > from XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder.
    > Register the DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:
    >
    > ---------------------------
    > RegSvr32
    > ---------------------------
    > DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
    > ---------------------------
    > OK
    > ---------------------------
    >

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
    >>> regsvr32 shimgvw.dll = LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed - The system
    >>> cannot find the file specified.
    >>
    >>> regsvr32 /i shell32.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in
    >>> shell32.dll succeeded.
    >>
    >>> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll = DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in mshtml.dll
    >>> suceeded.
    >>
    >> ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

    Try:

    regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\shimgvw.dll
    -or-
    regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    >I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file (where it
    >already existed, so I replaced it) and then reran your command (regsvr32
    >shimgvw.dll) but am still receiving "LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed -
    >The system cannot find the file specified."
    >
    > --
    > MOLLY STINEMAN
    >>
    >> Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll
    >> from XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder.
    >> Register the DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:
    >>
    >> ---------------------------
    >> RegSvr32
    >> ---------------------------
    >> DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
    >> ---------------------------
    >> OK
    >> ---------------------------
    >>

    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message

    >>> ... still no thumbnails or filmstrip

    The file is there (C:\Windows\System32\), and named properly (shimgvw.dll),
    but when I run either of your commands I'm still getting "the system cannot
    find the specified file"

    --
    MOLLY STINEMAN
    > Try:
    >
    > regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\shimgvw.dll
    > -or-
    > regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
    >>I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file (where it
    >>already existed, so I replaced it) and then reran your command (regsvr32
    >>shimgvw.dll) but am still receiving "LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed -
    >>The system cannot find the file specified."
    >>
    >> --
    >> MOLLY STINEMAN
    >> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Probably that's where your problem lies. Extract a copy of shimgvw.dll
    >>> from XP CD (source path) and place in %Systemroot%\System32 folder.
    >>> Register the DLL again if required. You'd see this prompt:
    >>>
    >>> ---------------------------
    >>> RegSvr32
    >>> ---------------------------
    >>> DllRegisterServer in shimgvw.dll succeeded.
    >>> ---------------------------
    >>> OK
    >>> ---------------------------
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >>> Windows XP Shell/User
    >>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>>

    >>> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message

    >> I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file

    May I know how you copied it from the XP CD? You actually need to extract
    the file, not copy it.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > The file is there (C:\Windows\System32\), and named properly
    > (shimgvw.dll), but when I run either of your commands I'm still getting
    > "the system cannot find the specified file"
    >
    > --
    > MOLLY STINEMAN
    >> Try:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\shimgvw.dll
    >> -or-
    >> regsvr32 C:\Windows\System32\shimgvw.dll
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
    >>>I copied the file from my xp cd to my c\windows\system32 file (where it
    >>>already existed, so I replaced it) and then reran your command (regsvr32
    >>>shimgvw.dll) but am still receiving "LoadLibrary("shimgvw.dll") failed -
    >>>The system cannot find the file specified."
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> MOLLY STINEMAN
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

    The XP CD that I have is the "Dell Operating System" disk... I did a search
    for that file and then copy/pasted it.

    I have no idea how to "extract".

    --
    MOLLY STINEMAN

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/expand.mspx

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > The XP CD that I have is the "Dell Operating System" disk... I did a
    > search for that file and then copy/pasted it.
    >
    > I have no idea how to "extract".
    >
    > --
    > MOLLY STINEMAN
    >>
    >> May I know how you copied it from the XP CD? You actually need to extract
    >> the file, not copy it.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "MOLLY STINEMAN" <mstineman@email.uophx.edu> wrote in message
    >>> The file is there (C:\Windows\System32\), and named properly
    >>> (shimgvw.dll), but when I run either of your commands I'm still getting
    >>> "the system cannot find the specified file"
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> MOLLY STINEMAN
    >>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I couldn't get that to work either... I uninstalled SP2 and reinstalled it
    and all of my issues are now resolved

    --
    MOLLY STINEMAN

Desktops Windows XP