Strange DNS problem

a b D Laptop
April 24, 2005 12:44:58 AM

I have a very strange DNS problem I can't seem to resolve.
I have a cable modem connected to a Netgear WGT624 wireless router connected
wirelessly to a laptop, the WGT624 is also wired to a hub connected to two
desktops. Everything worked great for a year or so. Took a business trip
with my laptop, did a windows update on my laptop and now DNS isn't working
on the laptop.
Windows XP on all three computers. I can ping between the 3 computers using
IP addresses just fine. The two desktops can ping each other by name just
fine. I can ping upstream (e.g. ping cisco.com) from all three just fine.
The desktop can not ping the laptop by name. The laptop can not ping the
desktops by name. ipconfig /all shows the WGT624, 192.168.0.1 as the DNS
server on all 3. The WGT624 doesn't seem to have much in the way of DNS
configuration. It has the latest firmware update and factory default
settings except for the wireless portion which is pretty basic except I've
added encryption. When I do an nslookup all three computers give an error:
"*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existen domain
*** Default servers are not available Default Server: UnKnown Address:
192.168.0.1", I'm not sure if this is helpful or not. I've compared every
network parameter I can find between all three computers and they all match.
The DNS settings on all 3 are "Obtain DNS server address automatically."
All three are set to the same WORKGROUP. Everything pretty much was factory
default and is factory default, so why are the desktops fine but my laptop
can't ping by name? This then interferes with Remote Desktop, printer
sharing and so forth so while it may seem minor it is causing problems. I
would very much appreciate any help!!!

paul

More about : strange dns problem

April 24, 2005 5:11:39 AM

Try the "microsoft.puplic.windowsxp.network_web" newsgroup.

"Paul J" <nospamtodayplease@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I have a very strange DNS problem I can't seem to resolve.
> I have a cable modem connected to a Netgear WGT624 wireless router
> connected wirelessly to a laptop, the WGT624 is also wired to a hub
> connected to two desktops. Everything worked great for a year or so.
> Took a business trip with my laptop, did a windows update on my laptop and
> now DNS isn't working on the laptop.
> Windows XP on all three computers. I can ping between the 3 computers
> using IP addresses just fine. The two desktops can ping each other by
> name just fine. I can ping upstream (e.g. ping cisco.com) from all three
> just fine. The desktop can not ping the laptop by name. The laptop can
> not ping the desktops by name. ipconfig /all shows the WGT624,
> 192.168.0.1 as the DNS server on all 3. The WGT624 doesn't seem to have
> much in the way of DNS configuration. It has the latest firmware update
> and factory default settings except for the wireless portion which is
> pretty basic except I've added encryption. When I do an nslookup all
> three computers give an error: "*** Can't find server name for address
> 192.168.0.1: Non-existen domain *** Default servers are not available
> Default Server: UnKnown Address: 192.168.0.1", I'm not sure if this is
> helpful or not. I've compared every network parameter I can find between
> all three computers and they all match. The DNS settings on all 3 are
> "Obtain DNS server address automatically." All three are set to the same
> WORKGROUP. Everything pretty much was factory default and is factory
> default, so why are the desktops fine but my laptop can't ping by name?
> This then interferes with Remote Desktop, printer sharing and so forth so
> while it may seem minor it is causing problems. I would very much
> appreciate any help!!!
>
> paul

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 25, 2005 5:02:40 AM

Try manually assigning addys to each computer and see if it makes them any
happier.

!