  • Partition
  • Partition Magic
  • Windows XP
April 24, 2005 3:41:48 PM

I understand that most backups of a partition are done with Norton's Ghost
but I see that Partition Magic also says it will allow you to copy a
partition. Am I correct in assuming if I were to do this then I could use
Partition Magic to do a complete restore of my 'C' drive should it be
required. I have 2 Hard drives in my machine & I already have a spare
partition on the second one with sufficient room to have a copy of 'C'.
This empty partition is calssified in Partition Magic as being a primary
drive with a status of 'none'. Is this correct?

The reason that I ask is that I already have Partirion Magic installed on
this machine & am trying to keep as few aplication on it as possible.

Am I correct in assuming that if I had to restore a copy of my 'C' drive at
some future time I would have to trigger that event by using the Partition
Magic Boot up disk?

Thanks in adavance

More about : ghost partition magic backup

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:36:13 PM

It's not a conventual technique but I'd try this. Change the partition on
your second HD to unallocated space, the same size or larger than your C
drive partition. Copy your C drive to this unallocated space with PM and
hide the partition. If your first HD fails replace it with a new HD and copy
(with PM) the C (hidden) drive from your second HD to unallocated space on
the new HD (same partition number) and make the partition active. Best of
luck.

Let me know if I've been too cryptic.

You could try this with a spare HD (if you have one) to see if it works.

Brian