Sound - Real Player kills WMP audio & XP sounds

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am at a total loss as to what
is causing this........

When I install Realplayer everything is OK until I play a .rm file. Once I
play the file I lose all Windows sounds and the audio in WMP9. It doesn't
affect Cyberlink Power DVD or ATI TV, those remain in tact with audio. Over a
year ago I played a .rm file and this happened, I uninstalled Realplayer and
I was back in business. Now a year later I installed Realplayer, played a .rm
file and it happened again, this time I just happened to install the ULEAD
VS9 upgrade within days and it fixed it, but today I played a .rm file and
once again I've lost my Windows sounds and audio in WMP9. And once again I
still have audio in Cyberlink Power DVD and ATI TV.

If anyone knows how I might resolve this issue without having to uninstall
Realplayer again I'd certainly appreciate it.

XP HOME SP2 (happened with SP1 as well), RP10, WMP9, P4 1.6, ATI All in
wonder 7500.

Thank you.
3 answers Last reply
More about sound real player kills audio sounds

    There are alternatives to Real Player, just Google for them. Other than
    uninstalling Real Player, about the only thing I can think of is to check
    the properties in Real Player and make sure it is enabled to ONLY play the
    ..rm or .ram files and NOT TO PLAY any .mpg, .mpeg, .wav, .wma or .cda files.
    But, I would suggest using one of the other players that can play Real
    Player files.

    "NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am at a total loss as to
    what
    > is causing this........
    >
    > When I install Realplayer everything is OK until I play a .rm file. Once I
    > play the file I lose all Windows sounds and the audio in WMP9. It doesn't
    > affect Cyberlink Power DVD or ATI TV, those remain in tact with audio.
    Over a
    > year ago I played a .rm file and this happened, I uninstalled Realplayer
    and
    > I was back in business. Now a year later I installed Realplayer, played a
    ..rm
    > file and it happened again, this time I just happened to install the ULEAD
    > VS9 upgrade within days and it fixed it, but today I played a .rm file and
    > once again I've lost my Windows sounds and audio in WMP9. And once again I
    > still have audio in Cyberlink Power DVD and ATI TV.
    >
    > If anyone knows how I might resolve this issue without having to uninstall
    > Realplayer again I'd certainly appreciate it.
    >
    > XP HOME SP2 (happened with SP1 as well), RP10, WMP9, P4 1.6, ATI All in
    > wonder 7500.
    >
    > Thank you.

    Thanks Kevin, an alternate player is something I hadn't thought of.

    FYI, after I uninstalled RealPlayer and it didn't fix it, I opened Volume
    control and updated to display everything and noticed that more than 1 MUTE
    had been selected. I can't believe that my machine is the only one Realplayer
    affects this way.

    At any rate, problem solved, thanks.

    "Kevin" wrote:

    > There are alternatives to Real Player, just Google for them. Other than
    > uninstalling Real Player, about the only thing I can think of is to check
    > the properties in Real Player and make sure it is enabled to ONLY play the
    > ..rm or .ram files and NOT TO PLAY any .mpg, .mpeg, .wav, .wma or .cda files.
    > But, I would suggest using one of the other players that can play Real
    > Player files.
    >
    > "NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am at a total loss as to
    > what
    > > is causing this........
    > >
    > > When I install Realplayer everything is OK until I play a .rm file. Once I
    > > play the file I lose all Windows sounds and the audio in WMP9. It doesn't
    > > affect Cyberlink Power DVD or ATI TV, those remain in tact with audio.
    > Over a
    > > year ago I played a .rm file and this happened, I uninstalled Realplayer
    > and
    > > I was back in business. Now a year later I installed Realplayer, played a
    > ..rm
    > > file and it happened again, this time I just happened to install the ULEAD
    > > VS9 upgrade within days and it fixed it, but today I played a .rm file and
    > > once again I've lost my Windows sounds and audio in WMP9. And once again I
    > > still have audio in Cyberlink Power DVD and ATI TV.
    > >
    > > If anyone knows how I might resolve this issue without having to uninstall
    > > Realplayer again I'd certainly appreciate it.
    > >
    > > XP HOME SP2 (happened with SP1 as well), RP10, WMP9, P4 1.6, ATI All in
    > > wonder 7500.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    Ever since Realplayer was created (what, 10 years now?), it has F**KED UP
    machines that it is installed on. Their programers are boneheaded morons
    that don't care about quality.

Realplayer Audio Windows XP