Sound - Real Player kills WMP audio & XP sounds

April 24, 2005 1:21:01 AM

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am at a total loss as to what
is causing this........

When I install Realplayer everything is OK until I play a .rm file. Once I
play the file I lose all Windows sounds and the audio in WMP9. It doesn't
affect Cyberlink Power DVD or ATI TV, those remain in tact with audio. Over a
year ago I played a .rm file and this happened, I uninstalled Realplayer and
I was back in business. Now a year later I installed Realplayer, played a .rm
file and it happened again, this time I just happened to install the ULEAD
VS9 upgrade within days and it fixed it, but today I played a .rm file and
once again I've lost my Windows sounds and audio in WMP9. And once again I
still have audio in Cyberlink Power DVD and ATI TV.

If anyone knows how I might resolve this issue without having to uninstall
Realplayer again I'd certainly appreciate it.

XP HOME SP2 (happened with SP1 as well), RP10, WMP9, P4 1.6, ATI All in
wonder 7500.

Thank you.
Anonymous
April 26, 2005 12:31:54 AM

There are alternatives to Real Player, just Google for them. Other than
uninstalling Real Player, about the only thing I can think of is to check
the properties in Real Player and make sure it is enabled to ONLY play the
..rm or .ram files and NOT TO PLAY any .mpg, .mpeg, .wav, .wma or .cda files.
But, I would suggest using one of the other players that can play Real
Player files.

"NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am at a total loss as to
what
> is causing this........
>
> When I install Realplayer everything is OK until I play a .rm file. Once I
> play the file I lose all Windows sounds and the audio in WMP9. It doesn't
> affect Cyberlink Power DVD or ATI TV, those remain in tact with audio.
Over a
> year ago I played a .rm file and this happened, I uninstalled Realplayer
and
> I was back in business. Now a year later I installed Realplayer, played a
..rm
> file and it happened again, this time I just happened to install the ULEAD
> VS9 upgrade within days and it fixed it, but today I played a .rm file and
> once again I've lost my Windows sounds and audio in WMP9. And once again I
> still have audio in Cyberlink Power DVD and ATI TV.
>
> If anyone knows how I might resolve this issue without having to uninstall
> Realplayer again I'd certainly appreciate it.
>
> XP HOME SP2 (happened with SP1 as well), RP10, WMP9, P4 1.6, ATI All in
> wonder 7500.
>
> Thank you.

Anonymous
April 30, 2005 4:50:02 AM

Thanks Kevin, an alternate player is something I hadn't thought of.

FYI, after I uninstalled RealPlayer and it didn't fix it, I opened Volume
control and updated to display everything and noticed that more than 1 MUTE
had been selected. I can't believe that my machine is the only one Realplayer
affects this way.

At any rate, problem solved, thanks.

"Kevin" wrote:

> There are alternatives to Real Player, just Google for them. Other than
> uninstalling Real Player, about the only thing I can think of is to check
> the properties in Real Player and make sure it is enabled to ONLY play the
> ..rm or .ram files and NOT TO PLAY any .mpg, .mpeg, .wav, .wma or .cda files.
> But, I would suggest using one of the other players that can play Real
> Player files.
>
> "NOTEKY" <NOTEKY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I am at a total loss as to
> what
> > is causing this........
> >
> > When I install Realplayer everything is OK until I play a .rm file. Once I
> > play the file I lose all Windows sounds and the audio in WMP9. It doesn't
> > affect Cyberlink Power DVD or ATI TV, those remain in tact with audio.
> Over a
> > year ago I played a .rm file and this happened, I uninstalled Realplayer
> and
> > I was back in business. Now a year later I installed Realplayer, played a
> ..rm
> > file and it happened again, this time I just happened to install the ULEAD
> > VS9 upgrade within days and it fixed it, but today I played a .rm file and
> > once again I've lost my Windows sounds and audio in WMP9. And once again I
> > still have audio in Cyberlink Power DVD and ATI TV.
> >
> > If anyone knows how I might resolve this issue without having to uninstall
> > Realplayer again I'd certainly appreciate it.
> >
> > XP HOME SP2 (happened with SP1 as well), RP10, WMP9, P4 1.6, ATI All in
> > wonder 7500.
> >
> > Thank you.

April 30, 2005 10:05:45 PM

Ever since Realplayer was created (what, 10 years now?), it has F**KED UP
machines that it is installed on. Their programers are boneheaded morons
that don't care about quality.