DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I seem to get the BSOD and this error message about every other day
since upgrading to SP2. It will read something like 0x000000D1,
0x00000004, x000000002, 0x857C73DC, but make no mention of any specific
driver which caused the problem (no filename or anything).

I have tried all of the following:
- Verified that my video, network, sound card, mouse, ide controller
have the latest drivers
- Verified that my RAM is 100% working
- Upgraded to the latest BIOS version
- disabled all shadow/caching in the BIOS
- updated my Windows with Windows Update to all the latest on
everything
- re-installed SP2
- disabled virtual memory, rebooted, re-enabled it, rebooted (following
instructions found on a web site)

I have run out of ideas, but the crashes continue. Is there anything I
can do to find out what is specifically crashing the system? The
crashes seem to come at random times, and I've been unable to determine
any sort of cause. Prior to SP2, the system never crashed. Now, I'm
lucky if I can go 24hrs without a BSOD. Can anyone help? Thanks

Hi

Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web site - left hand
column(D1):

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

<thekevinmcdonald@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I seem to get the BSOD and this error message about every other day
> since upgrading to SP2. It will read something like 0x000000D1,
> 0x00000004, x000000002, 0x857C73DC, but make no mention of any specific
> driver which caused the problem (no filename or anything).
>
> I have tried all of the following:
> - Verified that my video, network, sound card, mouse, ide controller
> have the latest drivers
> - Verified that my RAM is 100% working
> - Upgraded to the latest BIOS version
> - disabled all shadow/caching in the BIOS
> - updated my Windows with Windows Update to all the latest on
> everything
> - re-installed SP2
> - disabled virtual memory, rebooted, re-enabled it, rebooted (following
> instructions found on a web site)
>
> I have run out of ideas, but the crashes continue. Is there anything I
> can do to find out what is specifically crashing the system? The
> crashes seem to come at random times, and I've been unable to determine
> any sort of cause. Prior to SP2, the system never crashed. Now, I'm
> lucky if I can go 24hrs without a BSOD. Can anyone help? Thanks

Yep, saw it, that's no help either. His link goes to a MSDN article on
a similar problem with Windows 2000. Googling MS's site, I found the
article addressing this error in Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_ottj.asp

Unfortunately this is no help either. The article reads:
"Stop 0xD1 messages can occur after installing faulty drivers or system
services. If a driver is listed by name, disable, remove, or roll back
that driver to confirm that this resolves the error. If so, contact the
manufacturer about a possible update. Using updated software is
especially important for backup programs, multimedia applications,
antivirus scanners, DVD playback, and CD mastering tools."

I did not install any new drivers. A driver is not listed by name, and
I've updated everything that I can think of.

Is there any way to read the memory dump file (I'm not even sure where
it is?), and find out exactly what driver is crashing my system?

For what its worth,

I had v.similar problems to yours. I cannot say my problems started after
an SP2 installation, but it did happen 'all of a sudden'. I too
re-installed drivers, rolled back to previous versions etc,etc and continualy
checked my memory/hard-drive for errors to no effect.

On one single memory check out of 50+ passes, however, i suddenly got an
error reported. I ran the checker again, multiple times and the error did not
occur again. The memory checker i used was one supplied by Microsoft and i
noticed in the disclaimer it said something like 'this may not detect errors
that are the result of failing hardware'. I could not understand how if
there was a fault reported once it would not be detected again. Ho,
hum........

I bit the bullet after another couple of days and got some new memory for my
PC.

Since installing the memory the problems have gone away.

I'd like to say categoricaly that it was the memory ONLY that was causing
the problem, but i can't.
Driver installation can be a real pain in the *%^& and just before putting
the new memory in i updated my drivers again (to a set from October 2003, not
the latest ones).

Just to muddy the waters further, my recent problems also occured about a
year ago. At that point i HAD just upgraded to SP2 and the 'solution' was to
reinstall/upgrade my drivers. The system was then stable for about 12 months
before the recent spate of errors.

So my advice is;
1) Don't expect anyone to give you a definitive answer.
2) Spend as much time as you can trying different driver versions.
3) If that doesn't work, bung some new memory in.

Good Luck :)