file sharing/security problem

I have three computers on my work group network, and all works well
except that files I have recently downloaded on "Gil" to a shared folder
"Download" are not accessible on other computers. I get the message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
have appropriate permission to access the item."

I have simple file sharing enabled on Gil, although it got disabled for
a while and sharing permissions on that folder might have been changed.
Anyone know how I can fix it so that new files in that folder are shared?

Thanks
Gil Seward

Hi Gil,

The folder you are trying to share cannot be under the user profile path, it
has to be outside of the C:\Documents and Settings directory. With Simple
File Sharing enabled, it is often best to simply use the "shared documents"
folder, and create sub-folders under it.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Gil" <gseward@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>I have three computers on my work group network, and all works well except
>that files I have recently downloaded on "Gil" to a shared folder
>"Download" are not accessible on other computers. I get the message:
>
> "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
> have appropriate permission to access the item."
>
> I have simple file sharing enabled on Gil, although it got disabled for a
> while and sharing permissions on that folder might have been changed.
> Anyone know how I can fix it so that new files in that folder are shared?
>
> Thanks
> Gil Seward

The shared folder is on the root of C:, and it used to work, still does
except for newly downloaded files.

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
> Hi Gil,
>
> The folder you are trying to share cannot be under the user profile path, it
> has to be outside of the C:\Documents and Settings directory. With Simple
> File Sharing enabled, it is often best to simply use the "shared documents"
> folder, and create sub-folders under it.

Fixed the problem. I moved all the files to a new folder and then
deleted the Download folder, then renamed the new folder to Download and
shared it. Now all files are shared.