Changing both Motherboard and HD on OEM XP machine..

Sorry for asking such general question, but I'm fearly new to XP issues...

I am about to change to a more modern motherboard to go with my Athlon XP
CPU..
The new mobo supports serial ata disks so I will change boot disk too..

I now have XP Pro on the machine, but will preferably make a new clean
install on the new HD.
Is this possible without getting problems with the activation of XP, as
there is less than 120days since I installed XP on the machine..?

Should I install the new MOBO with existing HD first, reactivate, and then
make a clean install on the new HD?
Can I use XP backup to move all programs to the new hd and change to boot
from the new hd afterwards?

regards
Ottar Tverberg

--
Sendt med M2 - Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

    "Ottar Tverberg" wrote:

    > Sorry for asking such general question, but I'm fearly new to XP issues...
    >
    > I am about to change to a more modern motherboard to go with my Athlon XP
    > CPU..
    > The new mobo supports serial ata disks so I will change boot disk too..
    >
    > I now have XP Pro on the machine, but will preferably make a new clean
    > install on the new HD.
    > Is this possible without getting problems with the activation of XP, as
    > there is less than 120days since I installed XP on the machine..?
    >
    > Should I install the new MOBO with existing HD first, reactivate, and then
    > make a clean install on the new HD?
    > Can I use XP backup to move all programs to the new hd and change to boot
    > from the new hd afterwards?
    >
    > regards
    > Ottar Tverberg
    >
    > --
    > Sendt med M2 - Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram:
    > http://www.opera.com/m2/

    Hi Ottar,

    if you are using microsoft Oem License preinstalled on you machine you will
    be encour problem with actvation process and a new Oem license will be
    required.
    This is occurs when you upgrade a MB with a Microsoft Oem License.
    If you are using a Retail Microsoft License will be require a new
    activation process with maybe a call to p.a. this because a microsoft o.s.
    like xp can be install on only one 1 machine.

    Hi,

    As long as it was a retail version, there is no reason you cannot remove the
    installation from the old system and install it in the new one. There is no
    point to reactivating on the old drive if you are intending on doing a clean
    installation. You would have to reactivate anyways. At worst, activation
    will require a phone call instead of doing it automatically over the 'net.

    > Can I use XP backup to move all programs to the new hd and change to boot
    > from the new hd afterwards?

    Programs should be reinstalled from their original installation media, you
    cannot simply copy the old program folders. Data and other settings can be
    backed up and imported using the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, see:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Ottar Tverberg wrote:
    > Sorry for asking such general question, but I'm fearly new to XP issues...
    >
    > I am about to change to a more modern motherboard to go with my Athlon
    > XP CPU..
    > The new mobo supports serial ata disks so I will change boot disk too..
    >
    > I now have XP Pro on the machine, but will preferably make a new clean
    > install on the new HD.
    > Is this possible without getting problems with the activation of XP, as
    > there is less than 120days since I installed XP on the machine..?
    >
    > Should I install the new MOBO with existing HD first, reactivate, and
    > then make a clean install on the new HD?
    > Can I use XP backup to move all programs to the new hd and change to
    > boot from the new hd afterwards?
    >
    > regards
    > Ottar Tverberg

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations are
    not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours before starting),
    unless the new motherboard is virtually identical (same chipset, same
    IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the one on which the WinXP
    installation was originally performed, you'll need to perform a repair
    (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least:

    The "why" is quite simple, really, and has nothing to do with
    licensing issues, per se; it's a purely technical matter, at this point.
    You've pulled the proverbial hardware rug out from under the OS. (If
    you don't like -- or get -- the rug analogy, think of it as picking up a
    Cape Cod style home and then setting it down onto a Ranch style
    foundation. It just isn't going to fit.) WinXP, like Win2K before it,
    is not nearly as "promiscuous" as Win9x when it comes to accepting any
    old hardware configuration you throw at it. On installation it
    "tailors" itself to the specific hardware found. This is one of the
    reasons that the entire WinNT/2K/XP OS family is so much more stable
    than the Win9x group.

    important data before starting.

    This will also probably require re-activation, unless you have a
    Volume Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than
    120 days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the Internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    "Ottar Tverberg" wrote:

    > Sorry for asking such general question, but I'm fearly new to XP issues...
    >
    > I am about to change to a more modern motherboard to go with my Athlon XP
    > CPU..
    > The new mobo supports serial ata disks so I will change boot disk too..
    >
    > I now have XP Pro on the machine, but will preferably make a new clean
    > install on the new HD.
    > Is this possible without getting problems with the activation of XP, as
    > there is less than 120days since I installed XP on the machine..?
    >
    > Should I install the new MOBO with existing HD first, reactivate, and then
    > make a clean install on the new HD?
    > Can I use XP backup to move all programs to the new hd and change to boot
    > from the new hd afterwards?
    >
    > regards
    > Ottar Tverberg
    >
    > --
    > Sendt med M2 - Operas revolusjonerende e-postprogram:
    > http://www.opera.com/m2/

    Ottar,

    generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your
    customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the
    original Microsoft® OEM operating system software, with the exception of an
    upgrade or replacement of the motherboard.

    An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal
    computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be
    transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or
    replaced, for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been
    created and the license of new operating system software is required.

    If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to
    acquire a new operating system license for the PC.

    The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license
    agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The
    EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the PC manufacturer
    and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular
    PC. The System Builder is required to support the software on that individual
    PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PC with different
    components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that
    would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU
    and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for
    reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original
    System Builder, therefore, can not be expected to support this new PC that
    they in effect, did not manufacture.

    This info is related ONLY for MIcrosoft Oem License and doesn't affect the
    Retail Version FPP

    Hope this info can help you

    In news:opspqb3zm3zfmcgu@ottar-91fd56c6a,
    Ottar Tverberg <otverber@online.no> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Sorry for asking such general question, but I'm fearly new to XP
    > issues...
    > I am about to change to a more modern motherboard to go with my
    > Athlon XP CPU..
    > The new mobo supports serial ata disks so I will change boot disk
    > too..
    > I now have XP Pro on the machine, but will preferably make a new clean
    > install on the new HD.
    > Is this possible without getting problems with the activation of XP,
    > as there is less than 120days since I installed XP on the machine..?
    >
    > Should I install the new MOBO with existing HD first, reactivate, and
    > then make a clean install on the new HD?
    > Can I use XP backup to move all programs to the new hd and change to
    > boot from the new hd afterwards?
    >
    > regards
    > Ottar Tverberg

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Move XP to new hardware.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    --