Inability to save under proper formats

I've little clue why my computer is doing it, but it insists upon only
letting me save a file as "art" or ".bmp" and it won't actually read either
of the extentions after I save it. Its done this for a long time and I don't
know when, so I couldn't list any possible triggers. I'd think it has
something to do with a program changing the settings since when I installed
Winamp and messed around with the accepted file types it would read and could
then save things as actual MP3's where before it would'nt.

If anybody thinks they have a solution, I'd be elated to hear it.

For Internet Explorer:

This problem occurs if the Temporary Internet Files are full.

1. Start Internet Explorer
2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
3. Click the General tab.
4. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete Files.
5. When you are prompted to delete all temporary Internet files, click OK.

Internet Explorer Does Not Save Graphics Files in the Proper Format
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260650

Internet Explorer Saves Images As Bitmaps (.bmp Files)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810978

FAQ - Why can't I save .jpg, .gif or .png images in their original format
in Microsoft Internet Explorer?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupfaq.mspx

Why IE will only let you save as BMP:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2003/12/08/53607.aspx

More on why ie will only let you save as bmp:
http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archive/2004/10/29/249742.aspx

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User