Advice on gameroom ceiling color or gameroom look in gener..

Okay... I'm about a month away from drywal and am not sure what to do
about the gameroom. It's got a nice decrative window in the front with
cathedral ceiling.
www.onecircuit.com (link is upper right of page)

I'm tosing the idea about painting the cathedral ceiling black (Not
sure how my wife will take this)
Any ideas?
Or ideas in general about ways to decorate this room?

Thanks guys,
-Adam

I saw one that the ceiling was painted black and had the scene from
Asteroids painted across it. Way cool.

Arcade Game Room Design FAQ
http://members.cox.net/jmccorm/

Thanks! Glad you liked the Asteroids mural. ;-)

I'm happy with the black look for my garage, though I'm not sure I'd go
with that if my games were in the actual house--especially if it was a
huge room. Could be a bit overwhelming. I've already started thinking
about such things because SOME day, my wife and I are talking about
having a house built and incorporating a huge gameroom area. Haven't
come to any conclusions yet, but I'm pretty sure I won't be doing the
black thing.

And, by the way--if you go with the game scenes on the ceiling look, be
advised that taping off the shapes and painting them takes a LONG time
and WILL result in a stiff neck. It took an entire day to do the vector
graphics on my ceiling and wall cabinets, and the garage is only 12 x
20 (give or take).

Some things--like the framed game posters and the monitor with non-stop
80s music videos--will definitely work regardless of the decor. I've
also thought that backlit marquees would make for nice decorations.

-Dave Ellis
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

Where do you get the 80's videos? Online?

Thanks for all the great ideas guys... keep 'em comming.

A few years ago I was able to visit a millionaire's summer home not far
from here. It was about 5000+ sq ft log cabin, 3 levels complete with a
wood elevator. It was absolutely awesome. Going down to the lower level
he had all of his sports collectable in glass cabinets built into the
walls. Then I looked up and was so surprised to see the ceiling. It was
the Green Bay Packers Lambeau field painted on the ceiling. I just had
to take a picture of it. I still might do it to my ceiling in my
gameroom if I can find the time to do it. The easy part for
millionaires place was that it was a drop ceiling with large tiles.
They were able to layout and paint the field on the tiles and then
install it. My ceiling will be drywall so it will be a lot harder. I'm
sure this idea would work for anyone who has a favorite football team.
If you want a picture to see what it was like just drop me an email.

Kyle Lindstrom

my new email address is: klindstrom AT uplogon DOT com

Amazon has a TON of 80s videos on DVD. Just search on "80s Music
Videos." Also look for the MTV20 Collection. It's a 4-DVD set. Not all
80s, but lots of good stuff and good bang for the buck and lots of
videos on each disc (an hour-plus each).

The cheaper DVDs only have 6 videos or so, so a DVD changer would be
handy. I don't have one in the garage (just using a spare single-disc
unit), so playing the shorter discs means a lot of changing (or
repeats). I'm thinking of ripping the DVDs and making one big LONG
2-hour compilation to keep the disc swapping to a minimum. :)

-Dave Ellis
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

I have a 12' X 24' garage I finished and painted the ceiling black. At
first it really seemed to close-in the room especially while I was
laying the paint down. My wife hated it. But when the lights are dimmed
and the black lights come on, there is a real cool infinity effect,
like the sky at night.
An absolutely perfect dramatic effect for a game room IMHO.
I also added black carpet and painted the walls medium grey. A double
length rope light borders where the wall meets the ceiling which adds a
hint of dark blue to the walls and ample illumination.

-Rik

My gameroom is in the house, it's 13x16 with the center of the ceiling at a
peak of about 14' . I painted it black and I am real happy with it.
Dave

<jmccorm@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Arcade Game Room Design FAQ
> http://members.cox.net/jmccorm/

When we moved into our house, the basement was nothing but four concrete
walls. We finished it last year. Nothing fancy, regular ceiling tiles and
paneling on the walls, but I used two 150' electric blue rope light strings
and ran them all over the corners. With the games on and the rope lights
on, it's almost like being back in the arcades 20 years ago and neon on the
ceiling (except I have more games and fewer of them are out of order).

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

As ajcrm125 so eloquently stated:

> Okay... I'm about a month away from drywal and am not sure what to do
> about the gameroom. It's got a nice decrative window in the front with
> cathedral ceiling.
> www.onecircuit.com (link is upper right of page)
>
> I'm tosing the idea about painting the cathedral ceiling black (Not
> sure how my wife will take this)
> Any ideas?
> Or ideas in general about ways to decorate this room?
>
> Thanks guys,
> -Adam

I used black for my entire gameroom. I love it and my friends think it's
awesome. Lighting will make or break a black room so plan it well! Remember
that black absorbs light and it will take extra lighting to make up for
that.

http://www.arcadeguy.net

--
Tom

"That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest."
-Henry Thoreau

"The original point and click interface is a Smith and Wesson"