Changing the CPU from my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILAG

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Hi folks.

I would like to boost the specs of my laptop in changing the CPU. I have an Asus UL20A, equipped with a poor Core2Duo SU7300, socket BGA956.

I have choice between many processors (listing here: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core%202%20Duo%20Mobile%20SU7300%20AV80577UG0133M%20-%20AV80577UG0133ML.html), but what I ideally would love to have is a Core2Duo of more than 2Ghz.

It would be nice if i could mount the SP9600 @ 2,53Ghz, but i am not sure about the compatibility, especially regarding the TDP.

What you guys can tell me about that matter?

Thanks!

fpoon

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
BGA means Ball-Grid-Array. This means the CPU is soldered on to the motherboard and cannot be removed. Which means you can't upgrade.

ILAG

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
So how come we found many of those CPU (socket BGA956) for sale if they are originally soldered?

cl-jeffrey

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hello my name is Jeffrey and I work for ASUS Customer Loyalty Team

If you have the right equipment you can change the cpu or you can take it to a technician and have them change it. They will have to heat up that one area of the CPU and remove it carefully then they will have to get the new CPU and put that one on without getting and solder bridges. Once that is done you have to test the motherboard to make sure that they have not lost any of the other small components and that there are no compatibility issues.

The best thing to do is to purchase a motherboard with the specs that you are looking for. Laptop were not meant to be upgraded that's is why they have desktops so you can load it up with everything your heart desires.

Might be even cheaper just to get a new laptop. These days laptops are pretty affordable.

ILAG

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
Sounds good! Thanks Jeffrey!

Can I contact them in forwarding your message?

Laptops are very cheap, but not compact ones. I have been lucky in purchasing this UL20A (that i consider compact) very cheap, because i stick to Asus laptop since 3 years 1/2, so regarding compact laptops below 13" and equipped with Core2Duo CPU's of +2Ghz, the price goes very high quite easily.

I am only targeting reliability of the mobo. (Asus is known for that), and the CPU specs, as for graphics i use an external graphic card extension device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS