I have removed #2 Computer (mine (SLAVE)) to another location. I'm trying
to network them to access the data drive, and link our printers, so payroll
checks can be printed to either computer.
Computer #1 has XP with SP1. DSL (not sure all the hardware but can find
out.
Computer #2 has XP with SP2. #2 has all current upgrades. Cable modem
DPC2100 supplied by Comcast. Linksys LNE100TX Ethernet (Adapter(LNE100TX
v4)
#1 (wife) says she hasn't upgraded, and doesn't like doing upgrades over the
internet, and is having problems with them. (she is the computer geek, I
know just enough too about software/hardware to do some serious damage) I
used the wizard, but I think I'm making the whole the harder than it is.
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME THE SIMPLE VERSION Step by step
***Also I have a question about memory****
I have a 18.64 GB harddrive (non-partitioned, what ever that means) Pentium
(R) 4 CPU 1400MHz (version x86 family 15 model 0 stepping 10) I only have
128MB of RAM. I've been told the processor is fast, but it sure is slow to
me. If I upgrade the RAM does it make that much of a difference? (I
upgraded XP on computer #2 from Millinium, I recently restored #2 back to
Millinium, then added the upgrade again. (Millinium seemed to run alot
faster (before installing XP)) Is this a ram issue?
****Also when looking at the Ram I have a question***
I know they come in pairs I see the two 64MB, but there are two more of
(what looks like memory)
Whats up with them, Do I have to trash the current RAM, would two 256 be
sufficient?
This is my first post, go ahead Mock me!!!
Thanks to all you out there with time to reply
Rob

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

Hi Rob,

I would definitely reccomend more memory. I'm assuming from your mention of
Comcast that you are not in South Africa. The cost of memory out here is
approximately R1 for 1MB (approx 15 american cents) and the newer memory
modules will likely perform better. So in addition to getting more, I would
reccomend replacing both the 64 MB chips with 128 ones at a minimum. But I
have a saying, You can never have too much memory.

As for your network, a DSL router may be the way to go. These boxes usually
have DHCP on them (very handy if you want a home network but don't want to
know anything about IP Addresses :) and this will automatically assign IP
addresses to anyone attached to it. I picked one up for R700 (Microcomm
Deskporte or Linksys DLC) locally. This will also take the place of your
modem and offer anyone connected to it access to the internet. Quite
literally; plug in the cable and turn on the router... instant network.

If this system is not expected to do any heavy duty processing then you can
expect a good lifespan out of it. If you want to get a little more speed out
of your machine (after the memory upgrade) then the first thing to upgrade
would be your hard drive. I only reccomend this because 20 GB drives have
not been made in a while and the newer generation of drives are generally
around 20-30% faster. Hard drives have also come down dramatically in price
in recent years and even a bottom of the line hard drive these days may give
you a significant boost.

You may also want to consider a clean install of Windows XP instead of an
upgrade. Note that this does not mean you have to format the hard-drive,
just that you have to reinstall your applications. The performance
difference in Windows XP will be noticable. This is one performance increase
that will cost you nothing but time.

As for your wife's updating habits, I can't say I reccomend that at all. If
you contact your local Microsoft support centre, they can send you a CD. I
reccomend that updates be maintained regularly to prevent spyware, adware
and malware intrusions on the machine.

I think that covers your question, I hope it was clear and that it helps,
Regards,
Richard

"Rob Jewell" <Robert@adanacconstruction.com> wrote in message
> My home office HAD 2 computers networked.
> Computer #1(Wife's) had a separate internal Hard Drive for saving all data
> files only.
> I have removed #2 Computer (mine (SLAVE)) to another location. I'm trying
> to network them to access the data drive, and link our printers, so
> payroll
> checks can be printed to either computer.
> Computer #1 has XP with SP1. DSL (not sure all the hardware but can find
> out.
> Computer #2 has XP with SP2. #2 has all current upgrades. Cable modem
> DPC2100 supplied by Comcast. Linksys LNE100TX Ethernet (Adapter(LNE100TX
> v4)
> #1 (wife) says she hasn't upgraded, and doesn't like doing upgrades over
> the
> internet, and is having problems with them. (she is the computer geek, I
> know just enough too about software/hardware to do some serious damage) I
> used the wizard, but I think I'm making the whole the harder than it is.
> CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME THE SIMPLE VERSION Step by step
> ***Also I have a question about memory****
> I have a 18.64 GB harddrive (non-partitioned, what ever that means)
> Pentium
> (R) 4 CPU 1400MHz (version x86 family 15 model 0 stepping 10) I only have
> 128MB of RAM. I've been told the processor is fast, but it sure is slow
> me. If I upgrade the RAM does it make that much of a difference? (I
> upgraded XP on computer #2 from Millinium, I recently restored #2 back to
> Millinium, then added the upgrade again. (Millinium seemed to run alot
> faster (before installing XP)) Is this a ram issue?
> ****Also when looking at the Ram I have a question***
> I know they come in pairs I see the two 64MB, but there are two more of
> (what looks like memory)
> Whats up with them, Do I have to trash the current RAM, would two 256 be
> sufficient?
> This is my first post, go ahead Mock me!!!
> Thanks to all you out there with time to reply
> Rob

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware,microsoft.public.za.windowsxp.networking (More info?)

Do upgrade to at least 256 MB and preferably 512 MB of RAM. Your
processor is only half-fast in today's market, but that only means the
memory expansion is even more important.

The type of RAM required depends on your motherboard. They do not always
come in pairs. If you don't have the user's guide, get your make and
model number and check www.crucial.com. It can usually tell you what
kind and how many RAM strips you can use. Yes, you may have to discard
one or both of your present strips.

You say there are two more. What? RAM strips? or RAM sockets? Rarely do
modern boards have four sockets, although many do have two sockets of
one type and two of another, but use only one type at a time. You may
need help to identify.

I don't understand your networking question. If you just moved #2 and
plugged in a longer cable it should work. If you modified the network in
other ways, please explain.

Myron E. Williams
Crossville, TN

Rob Jewell wrote:
> My home office HAD 2 computers networked.
> Computer #1(Wife's) had a separate internal Hard Drive for saving all data
> files only.
> I have removed #2 Computer (mine (SLAVE)) to another location. I'm trying
> to network them to access the data drive, and link our printers, so payroll
> checks can be printed to either computer.
> Computer #1 has XP with SP1. DSL (not sure all the hardware but can find
> out.
> Computer #2 has XP with SP2. #2 has all current upgrades. Cable modem
> DPC2100 supplied by Comcast. Linksys LNE100TX Ethernet (Adapter(LNE100TX
> v4)
> #1 (wife) says she hasn't upgraded, and doesn't like doing upgrades over the
> internet, and is having problems with them. (she is the computer geek, I
> know just enough too about software/hardware to do some serious damage) I
> used the wizard, but I think I'm making the whole the harder than it is.
> CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME THE SIMPLE VERSION Step by step
> ***Also I have a question about memory****
> I have a 18.64 GB harddrive (non-partitioned, what ever that means) Pentium
> (R) 4 CPU 1400MHz (version x86 family 15 model 0 stepping 10) I only have
> 128MB of RAM. I've been told the processor is fast, but it sure is slow to
> me. If I upgrade the RAM does it make that much of a difference? (I
> upgraded XP on computer #2 from Millinium, I recently restored #2 back to
> Millinium, then added the upgrade again. (Millinium seemed to run alot
> faster (before installing XP)) Is this a ram issue?
> ****Also when looking at the Ram I have a question***
> I know they come in pairs I see the two 64MB, but there are two more of
> (what looks like memory)
> Whats up with them, Do I have to trash the current RAM, would two 256 be
> sufficient?
> This is my first post, go ahead Mock me!!!
> Thanks to all you out there with time to reply
> Rob

bluestreak

Ok first the networking prob.

Im confused as to whether you mean location in an office/building or different building altogether.

Ill try to help on both though. In the first instance you could just get a simple ADSL Modem Router, which will handle the whole network and share your internet connection fairly easily. it just requires a cable to both computers from the router. another way roud it would be to upgrade to a wireless network. no wires but means you have to buy two wireless cards for the pcs, i must mention they have come down in price alot recently! and if you dont need speed i suggest going on ebay or something and buying some old 802.11b ones as these will be more than enough to transmit info for printers and documents etc.

For the other instance (seperate building), you may need to use VPN, i dont know much about it but it will require that one or both of the two internet connections will need whats known as a Static IP address which is easy enough to obtain from your ISP's.

As for the comptuers, i suggest you pull out all of the old ram and replace with no less than 256Meg. all computers Pentium 2 upwards will work using just single RAM strips now, though they do work faster with it spread across two (ie 256Meg - 2x128Meg strips)

Windows ME was crap, from the very beginning and upgrading it to XP will not be doing it any favours. just scrap ME altogether and opt for a full version of Windows XP or 2000 on both machines.

Hard disk wise, 20Gig drives are now obsolete, to make it easy i suggest buying a new hard drive for both computers and partitioning them both so you have a SYSTEM and a DATA drive for each computer, this makes back up easier along with recovery of windows should you need it. or if you have a bit more cash, buy yourself an External Hard Drive which you can store all you important files on.

Hope this is of some help

Bill