Is this a good gaming laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dinosaurguy

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Is this a good gaming laptop? Will it be able to play Minecraft and Arma 2 with no lag?

HP Pavillion dv7t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Intel 3rd Gen. i7-3610QM (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)

nVidia Geforce GT 650m with 2GB GDDR5 Memory

8GB System Memory (RAM) (2-Dimm)

750GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive

Standard 6-Cell Lithium Ion Battery (I will always have access to an outlet, and if I don't, it will be for a short . period of time)

17.3 inch LED Backlit 1600X900 Display

802.11b/g/n WLAN WiFi Card

Backlit Keyboard

Blueray Optical Drive Bay

Total Price: $1169.99 (With $50 coupon $1119.99)

I just wanna know if this laptop will be able to run my games smoothly with no problems.

ilikemoneygreen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Wow, your looking at almost the same laptop as me! i just bought it. a dv6t. (15.6 in is large enough for me... 17.3 is huge for a laptop imo)
Some of my thoughts: 7200 rpm is good, plenty of ram, great graphics and a great processor. some info:Your graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M=9453.8. and Intel HD Graphics 4000=3512.1. (Dont give these benchmarks a lot of weight)
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69168.0.html
GPU is good, exactly what i just bought. I hope it turns out to be good for gaming.it looks like it can run skyrim at 42.8 fps on high settings. Pretty good.
and of course your CPU is good. Intel Core i7 3610QM=17238.9.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-Notebook-Processor.72681.0.html
My only thought is here that the wattage is actually higher then the other cpus meaning its at 45 watts instead of 35 so its probably going to be a battery drainer; especially with a 17 inch screen. If i would personally bump down to the dv6t unless your planning on never going off the plug. dv6t has all that but with a slightly lower wattage at 35 and a smaller screen. Thats just me i guess though. this by all means looks to be a good laptop for gaming. im just a novice though.

dinosaurguy

Honorable
Jun 28, 2012
Thanks! I'm going to buy this laptop. I'm looking for a desktop replacement, so 17 inches is perfect for me. My friend has an 18.4" monster. (Toshiba Qosmio) and the only reason I'm getting a laptop is because I just want to be able to go play at my friends house or at my beach house. I know that gaming desktops are by far the better choice but for me, the laptop is perfect. I have one question on your post. What do you mean by, "Don't give these benchmarks a lot of weight."? :heink:

ilikemoneygreen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
Rofl, an 18.4" is a beast. that wouldn't even fit in my backpack. And Benchmarks are good but they arnt exactly accurate all the time. By that i mean the benchmarks arnt always the same. My laptop which has a 650m might not run the same benchmarks as yours from a variety of reasons. notebookcheck shows benchmarks but thats the benchmarks on their stuff. Their stuff might have more ram or a better cpu or a lower cpu. Ive seen the same computer pull different results from the same benchmarking software with just a different os (xp, vista, 7). Don't go in thinking your benchmarks will be the same as the other ones. (they should be kinda similar though) All in all computers have a variety of hardware, which means benchmarking software cant have the same results every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.