HELP-laptop lock up is getting very unbearable-HELP

I have tied to get answerws on a different question. So let's try starting
over. My HP laptop had Windows 98SE with many programs and Norton Antivirus
2004. I recently installed Windows XP. XP did not show that I had Antivirus.
The desktop had the icons but the add/remove did not show any programs. Whil
attempting to download Norton the computer locked up completely. This has
happened while downloading and then while installing Norton, while dialing up
the Internet, while rebotting the computer for the tenth time. So.......I
don't think it is Norton since I did not have the problem before XP was
installed.
Someone help.
--
Lisa F

Lisa,

Your previous post has been answered and with some very good information.
Did you perform a clean install of XP? Did you check that all of the
devices and hardware in your HP laptop are compatible with Windows XP? Have
you run a virus scan?