DNS errors.

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
i just re-installed W2K-AS after it crashed this week....

in trying to debug the server to make sure it is optimized, i have repeatedly noticed that i get numerous "DNS errors" in the evnt log.... this only happens when the server is re-booted...

the DNS errors= states:

"The DNS server was unable to add or write an update of domain name _gc in zone athni.local to the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly and add or update this domain name using the DNS console."

2 minutes after this error is logged, another event is logged that says "DNS was started properly and is now functioning"....

any advice?....

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
dont know about that one. does every thing work fine? dns resolution working? just dont reboot the server, you shouldnt have to very often.

i went to the tomshardware forums and all i got was this lousy signature.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Microsoft Knowledge base article ID <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q252695" target="_new">Q252695</A>

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
i posted the initial question on thursday....
when i came to work on friday, the system crashed again...

holy cow... so i started all over again...

the only thing different i could think of was that i had installed WINS on the server 2 weeks ago... so when i re-installed the server, i had installed WINS... so this time, on friday, i re-installed the server without the WINS (apparently you don't need WINS if you do not have any non-W2K machines - which i don't)....

it was a clean install, no problems, and surprisingly, NO DNS errors....

i let it run all weekend long, and we have had no problems today, monday....

hmmmm..... any rational as to why WINS might be casuing the server to crash.... all i could think of is that i did not have the WINS and DNS confifured properly to work together....

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
hmmmm..... that brings up another point....

why do i NEED active directory?....

i am running in a clinet-server environment, so can i still run the same programs and retrieve data in a non-Active directory environment, without DNS?....

when i installed advanced-server, the first screen that pops up is "do you want to configure your server".... and active directory is the very first option...

any thoughts would be helpful in understanding this situation - thx

sathni

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2002
what does my server do?...

that's a loaded queston.... let me try to describe it's function...

i am a physician (Neurologist) and have a small medical practice in Georgia.... (originally from NY and Texas... how i ended up in Georgia is an hour long discertation)....

we use 2 pieces of software for our billing and medical transcription notes... Lytec for billing and Soapware for medical notes...

Lytec is a "client server" program, with a Btrieve 7.0 database engine, requiring a true "server" to manage the data....

Soapware can be loaded on any machine (not necessarily a "server")...

But, for Lytec, if the database engine is loaded in W2K-Professional, and use that type of box as a "file server", it corrupts the data... i am guessing that the "server" edition of windows has some files needed to run properly...

i have NO programs loaded in the server (except for Adobe 5.0, WinZip, and Office 2000 - just in case i have a file that needs to be viewed... i don't routinely run any of these programs from the server.... all these programs are also loaded on the clients, so the servere does NOT act as an application server)...

i am sure my situation is not unique... most doctor's offices have a contract with a local computer company to handle these issues, but that gets VERY expensive.. since i am somewhat knowledgeable about computers, i have been able to "service" my network for the past 8 years without too many problems....

whew.... does that make any sense?....