Still Dual Boot Xp/Win 7 problems

thesalesman

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
I am still having the same problems. I had XP and then d/l'd the Win 7 beta 2 (build 7100) and like it and all that jazz but now cannot for the life of me get into XP again. I've tried EasyBCD 2.0 and even manually recreated the bcd file from recovery console (using Win 7 iso disc).

Here is my setup:

One hard drive (disk 0) partitioned 3 ways now:
C: (Windows 7) was of course XP before I installed Win 7
d: (windows XP home) cannot boot (missing or corrupt winload.exe-when I try to dual boot, missing hal.dll, etc.)
k: Recovery partition (this was working today but it only gives options to wipe drive to reinstall XP)

Partition Status: (from Win 7 Management)
c: Healthy, boot, pagefile, primary, etc.
d: Healthy, system, active (recent change, din't help)
K Healthy, system active, primary (OEM XP RECOVERY partition)

Easy BCD 2.0:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
Timeout: 30 seconds.
Boot Drive: D:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7 Ultimate (recovered)
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {1222f65f-9738-11de-aaab-80d26a080660}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

If it goes to options, I select XP and will prob come up with winload.exe, or hal.dll error.

Thus, I need help to get BACK XP.

I'll prob need del Win 7 partition on disk by trying to use the RECOVERY partition, it came up after fiddling with all this , not now tho. No biggie, I backed up all just in case I really need to use the RECOVERY partition and no major apps were put on Win 7...however, all my office 2007/2010 TP and all apps on XP would have to be reinstalled.

Thanks again.

thesalesman

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Well, all I got was the Recovery Partition on my Emachines 3024 PC. No Install CD of course for XP. Got the Win 7 install DVD and can use the Recovery console. I have already tried many RC commands to no avail, inc. Fix boot, I think. Thus, still stuck.

thesalesman

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Yea, cheapos companies. Anyhow, I finally got it working. Used Startup Repair from Win 7 iso dvd 2 or 3x. Stated EasyBCD2.0 and trusted it. Deleted XP entry, added it, let it AutoConfigure Boot.ini, restarted. Choose XP and VOILA! XP started. I thought I did this action a million times. Was abou to wipe the Win 7 partition with Gparted.

Thanks for the help guys.