Geko26

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
I have a million things I installed on my computer, mostly games that need the CD. My question is is it possible to create a folder anywhere on your harddrive and assign it a CD drive letter and make windows think that the folder is a CD-Rom drive? I want to be able to create these 'fake drives' and just drag the stuff from my CD to the folder so I dont have to keep switching out CD's when I switch programs or games. is this possible or is something like it possible?

Geko26

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
I installed the program and made some virtual drives. It seems I have to create a cd image first which from the progress of the first one is gunna take all day to make an image of a CD. Is there any way I can skip the imaging process, drag the contents from the CD to a folder on my hard drive, then redirect that folder to the virtual drive?

Geko26

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
Ok nevermind, i fixed the slowness, but it seems the newer games, which i play, have some sort of hidden file which the game reads when it starts. When i create the image, it doesnt include the file. When i right click on the cd-rom, the size of the disk, for example, will say 715mb. Then when i explore the CD and select all the files, itll say 700mb. Where is this other 15mb and how do i include it in my image?

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
For games, what I found the best is to use <A HREF="http://www.clonecd.net" target="_new">CloneCD</A> to make an image of the CD. Then use <A HREF="http://www.daemon-tools.com" target="_new">Daemon Tools</A> (it is free) to create a virtual drive and mount the CD image on that drive.

Daemon Tools takes care of about any CD protection scheme. For me it works with every game I tried.

If you want to be sure that your image will work you can use <A HREF="http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/clonyxxl.cfm" target="_new">ClonyXXL </A> that works in pair with CloneCD. ClonyXXL will tell you what type of copy protection there is on the CD on suggest settings to use in CloneCD.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

Geko26

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
Ok, maybe I didnt fix the speed problem. Do you know why when I go to copy from the CD to an image, it goes at like 20k/sec? I have a Sony CDRW 24x/10x/40x.

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
Some CD's have copy protection on them so whenever you try creating an image, it'll go really slow! Sometimes the image isn't exactly the same too (weak sectors not copied) and that can cause the program not to recognize the image.

IMHO Clone CD is the best, download the latest version (it includes a Virtual Drive), you can create and load your image with that; it always worked for me, and Clone CD can copy the protected CD's (it'll still be kinda slow but thats normal).

But there is a catch, when you first install Clone CD, you have to change your regional settings and time zone to anywhere out of North America in order to enable weak sectors. If the install notices that your settings say you are in North America it'll disable weak sectors.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24106" target="_new">My System Rig</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=535386" target="_new">3DMark03</A>

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
I don't know what u r talking about. I used it for a long time and it takes only as long as it takes to drag and drop the contents of the cd.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
This is due to the copy protection. If you go in the settings of CloneCD and choose "Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner" it will accelerate the reading process

Geko26

Distinguished
May 18, 2003
I dont see those settings in CloneCD v4.2.0.2. I checked the Tools > Settings and clicked all the tabs. There werent any settings that look like they would help the speed of a copyright protection disc.

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
When you are about to start a reading process, you get to a window where all the information about your CD drive is displayed (just after you select from which drive you want to read).

In that window, there is a box with different copy schemes (for example: Audio CD, Data CD, Game CD, Protected Game CD...). You should select Protected Game CD in that box.

To see the option I'm talking about, just right click on Protected Game CD and select "Edit...", it is under the "Error handling" tab. If you select Protected Game CD, the "Intelligent Bad Sector Scanner" will already be setup correctly.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
just get a no cd crack and be done with it for gods sake

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>