EXTRA BOGUS Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, & History f..

First, let me be clear. I am not asking how to empty out the standard TIF
(Temporary Internet Files), History, and Cookies folders. I know how to
do that using Internet Properties.

The problem I have here is an EXTRA set of BOGUS folders with the same
names that get created in my Temp folder every time I boot up in normal
mode. They cannot be deleted in normal mode either. If I boot to Safe
Mode I can delete them and if I then reboot to Safe Mode again they do
not get created.

I have done some experiments and if I use MSConfig to disable all of my
Startup items the folders still get recreated when I boot to Normal Mode.
However, if I choose Diagnostic Startup in MSConfig then the files do not
get recreated when I boot to Normal Mode. This tells me that the issue is
most likely caused by some service but I can't figure out which. I am
certainly not in the mood to reboot my computer dozens more times today
just to figure out which service is causing this problem. I am guessing
it has something to do with the system for replacing protected files.

I have done some research in the newsgroups and the exact same issue has
been reported several times over the last few years. Usually there is no
response at all. In one thread some people suggested booting to the DOS
prompt and using the DELTREE command to remove the offending files and
they wouldn't come back after that. Unfortunately, I have tried booting
to Safe Mode with Command Prompt as well as booting off of a floppy to
delete the files. They just come right back when I boot to Normal Mode.

Along with the a fore mentioned folders a series of .tmp files get
created with file names such as "~DF8F55.tmp" and "~DFA943.tmp". These
two were created within a minute of booting up. Over time I often get
dozens more. None of these files can be deleted in Normal Mode. I get a
dialog saying the file is being used by another program.

This problem has been ongoing for months. I have no idea how long it had
been happening before I even noticed it.

I am now concerned that I may have some virus or spyware that is causing
this. Here's the deal. I am a professional computer consultant. Most of
what I do these days is clean up spyware off of PC's for people. I have
scanned the hell out of my machine and never find anything other than a
few tracking cookies. This has me completely stumped.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue?
4 answers Last reply
More about extra bogus temporary internet files cookies history

    In article <9CE5DE22-6032-43A7-88B2-EAB5E7DEF5B2@microsoft.com>,
    Terry@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I had a Trojan worm that i spent 3 day tracking, but you wont have to spend
    > that long. my Virus was the W32.Beagle.gen, I finally went to my registry and
    > used find. when i found it. i deleted it.

    So you had the exact same problem? How did you find the virus entry in
    your registry? Surely it isn't entered under the name given to it by
    antivirus software?

    Searching my registry for a long list of trojans and viruses is something
    I expect my antivirus software to do.

    "Grant Robertson" wrote:

    > In article <9CE5DE22-6032-43A7-88B2-EAB5E7DEF5B2@microsoft.com>,
    > Terry@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > > I had a Trojan worm that i spent 3 day tracking, but you wont have to spend
    > > that long. my Virus was the W32.Beagle.gen, I finally went to my registry and
    > > used find. when i found it. i deleted it.
    > >
    > So you had the exact same problem? How did you find the virus entry in
    > your registry? Surely it isn't entered under the name given to it by
    > antivirus software?
    >
    > Searching my registry for a long list of trojans and viruses is something
    > I expect my antivirus software to do.

    Grant,,
    I was surprised too. all the antivirus program did not remove it. I was at a
    loss.
    but after 3 days of internet searches and trial & error, I was able to
    figure it out.
    The most inportant thing is to identify the virus that is affecting the
    computer.
    I found a reference in Norton info pages that some virus had to be manully
    removed. They hid very successfully in the Registry. Yes the virus is under
    the same name that the antivirus give. Here is the norton website that i used
    to find the proper name.
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/vinfodb.html
    but first thing is to run the msconfig to make sure that the start up
    application are not being hampered by a bad program loaded in the start up
    configuraton
    follow this task in this website.
    http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
    if this does not load the msconfig as about then you must download the
    applet below from Mike lin. "MIKE LIN ROCKS!!!"
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    in the config startup applications use this site to identify any bad
    applications
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    after the system config is clear then go to the registry and do the 'FIND'
    Go to START>RUN> enter "regedit" >click OK.
    in the Registry editor go menu > edit>Find enter the proper virus name.
    when it is found delete it and everything should be fine.
    CIAO
    Terry
    P.S. my red harddrive light is very dim now. and the computer is very
    silent. I think the virus was giving my system a work out. The computer is
    twice as quiet, now. Before the red light on the harddrive was almost alway
    bright. now it is hardly on. A lot less stress on the system. the computer is
    a lot faster and smoother also.
    Good luck!!!

    On a hunch I went into MSConfig and disabled anything having to do with
    Norton Internet Security. Deleted the files in Safe Mode and rebooted.
    The bogus folders were not recreated. But after a few seconds a DF*.tmp
    file was created. I could not delete it. So I opened Task Manager and
    started killing processes. My second guess was Microsoft AntiSpyware's
    gcasServ.exe process. I was able to delete the file. I left the process
    dead for a while and no new files were created. As soon as I started up
    Microsoft AntiSpyware it created two new files.

    So it seems the cause of my problem is the software I use to protect
    myself. Norton Internet Security creates the bogus IE cache folders and
    Microsoft AntiSpyware creates the DF*.tmp files.

    I don't mind them creating the files but I don't like them being
    undeletable while the programs are running. This means I have to figure
    out some way to empty out the Temp folder before these processes are
    started so it doesn't eventually fill up and take over my whole hard
    drive.

    "Grant Robertson" <BOGUS@BOGUS.com> wrote in message
    > On a hunch I went into MSConfig and disabled anything having to do with
    > Norton Internet Security. Deleted the files in Safe Mode and rebooted.
    > The bogus folders were not recreated. But after a few seconds a DF*.tmp
    > file was created. I could not delete it. So I opened Task Manager and
    > started killing processes. My second guess was Microsoft AntiSpyware's
    > gcasServ.exe process. I was able to delete the file. I left the process
    > dead for a while and no new files were created. As soon as I started up
    > Microsoft AntiSpyware it created two new files.
    >
    > So it seems the cause of my problem is the software I use to protect
    > myself. Norton Internet Security creates the bogus IE cache folders and
    > Microsoft AntiSpyware creates the DF*.tmp files.
    >
    > I don't mind them creating the files but I don't like them being
    > undeletable while the programs are running. This means I have to figure
    > out some way to empty out the Temp folder before these processes are
    > started so it doesn't eventually fill up and take over my whole hard
    > drive.

    If the file is in use, it's in use...you can't delete it. It would be like
    deleting a program while it's running. Doesn't matter that it's in the temp
    folder, if the program need it to run. You'd find the same thing if you
    tried to delete MS Word files while Word was working on them. Or just about
    any program that works that way.

    Or is it creating *more* files each time? If it's the same ones (or if it
    deletes old one and creates new) it shouldn't be anything to worry about,
    but if they're growing in number/size, are you saying you can't delete any
    of them, or just the new ones?

    Instead of trying to delete them at startup, you might be better served by
    deleting them at shutdown, after the program that created them has closed.
    Create a batch file to delete them. But really, if the program needs them
    and creates them at every startup, deleting them seems to be sort of futile.

Cookie Internet Windows XP