COM port vs USB port

I have a scanner pen (QuickLink Elite) that I am trying to use with a Dell
Dimension computer running XP SP2.

The pen communicates via a USB port. But in the pen's configuration settings
I am asked to set the COM port.

There are several USB ports on this compter: 2 in the front and 4 or 5 in
the back.

How can I relate a particular USB port to a COM port? For example, is the
top USB port in the front of the computer equivalent to COM5 or some other
COM port?

And, are all USB ports on a computer euqal/identical?
1 answer Last reply
More about port port

    "Dave" <davefrick@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
    >I have a scanner pen (QuickLink Elite) that I am trying to use with a Dell
    >Dimension computer running XP SP2.
    >
    > The pen communicates via a USB port. But in the pen's configuration
    > settings I am asked to set the COM port.
    >
    > There are several USB ports on this compter: 2 in the front and 4 or 5 in
    > the back.
    >
    > How can I relate a particular USB port to a COM port? For example, is the
    > top USB port in the front of the computer equivalent to COM5 or some
    > other COM port?
    >
    > And, are all USB ports on a computer euqal/identical?

    You may need to find newer drivers or different drivers for the device, so
    that it detects itself on USB. COM ports and USB ports are not
    interchangeable.

Comm Port Computers USB Windows XP