COM port vs USB port

April 24, 2005 4:34:52 PM

I have a scanner pen (QuickLink Elite) that I am trying to use with a Dell
Dimension computer running XP SP2.

The pen communicates via a USB port. But in the pen's configuration settings
I am asked to set the COM port.

There are several USB ports on this compter: 2 in the front and 4 or 5 in
the back.

How can I relate a particular USB port to a COM port? For example, is the
top USB port in the front of the computer equivalent to COM5 or some other
COM port?

And, are all USB ports on a computer euqal/identical?

More about : port usb port

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:33:01 AM

"Dave" <davefrick@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:o uJLTMQSFHA.3420@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I have a scanner pen (QuickLink Elite) that I am trying to use with a Dell
>Dimension computer running XP SP2.
>
> The pen communicates via a USB port. But in the pen's configuration
> settings I am asked to set the COM port.
>
> There are several USB ports on this compter: 2 in the front and 4 or 5 in
> the back.
>
> How can I relate a particular USB port to a COM port? For example, is the
> top USB port in the front of the computer equivalent to COM5 or some
> other COM port?
>
> And, are all USB ports on a computer euqal/identical?

You may need to find newer drivers or different drivers for the device, so
that it detects itself on USB. COM ports and USB ports are not
interchangeable.
!