missing AUTOEXEC.BAT and question about config.sys

Firstly i need to know how to replace my missing (i think it's missing)
AUTOEXEC.BAT file, i believe it's either in C: or C: Windows, but cannot find
it. I recently had to replace autoexec.nt due to a virus problem i assume and
i wonder if this has caused a knock on effect?

The other question is, does the config.sys have to be set to read only as
mine isn't but didn't want to mess without asking someone?

Lizzybeth1 wrote:
> Firstly i need to know how to replace my missing (i think it's
> missing) AUTOEXEC.BAT file, i believe it's either in C: or C:
> Windows, but cannot find it. I recently had to replace autoexec.nt
> due to a virus problem i assume and i wonder if this has caused a
> knock on effect?
>
> The other question is, does the config.sys have to be set to read
> only as mine isn't but didn't want to mess without asking someone?

As you are posting in Windows XP newsgroups, I can only suppose you mean
"autoexec.nt" and "config.nt" for use when you open command prompts.

Does this help you any?

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit Windows-based
program
(Includes location and default contents (and/or how to restore those
contents) of the two files you asked about..)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767

--
<- Shenan ->

Hi!
No i've already replaced autoexec.nt from a repair folder in c: but i
believe i'm missing autoexec.bat which is supposed to be in either c: or
C:windows, i opened sysedit and it was unable to locate autoexec.bat which
was the error message it threw up, but i'm not sure and that's why i'm asking
as i've had some odd error messages coming up on the pc, a lot of application
hanging and a database error. They became less when i realised autoexec.nt
was missing, but when sysedit informed me of autoexec.bat missing i realised
i had further problems. So i need to replace this file i believe.

LIZ