Sign in with
Your question

Need Some Repair Help !

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2004 4:49:02 PM

Ok my fan on my old VisionTek (the worst nV maker ever) gFroce 4200 4x just died for good (I cleaned it once saved it for a few weeks) now I know that there are several good heatsink/Fan replacements out there and I can buy one local too.

However MY QUESTION is ... How to remove the Heatsink that is "Glued" on???

the genius at visiontek did not use the stock pins but I would assume an epoxy or some other glue to adhere the heat sink on to the GPU ( know wonder they went out of business) and because they did I no longer have a warrenty either.
Now I need to remove the Hink sink beause it is one of the round type with the fan in the middle with the fins that circle the fan futhermore I do not think I can find a fan to fit in there because the stock mounts with only 3 small screws.

SO Please let me know if you can help at all THANKS a TON

Cheers

FYI - this is the 3rd time the fan has gone out (first 2 I RMA'd) also I had differnet Vision tek DOA too. thanks goodness they are gone.

More about : repair

May 7, 2004 4:56:29 PM

Pop your card into a zip bag, then put it in the freezer for 1-2 hours. The sink will come off easily.

-----
Wanted: Wet Nurse needed for 25 yr old male. Will not mind if taken advantage of.
May 7, 2004 6:08:16 PM

Twist, don't pull!

Related resources
May 7, 2004 8:59:44 PM

First thanks for the quick replys ;) 

Tried that however it did't seem to be work
Should I levae it in there for longer?
Or any other ideas?

Thanks for the help I need It ;) 
May 7, 2004 9:07:00 PM

If cold doesn't work, sometimes heat does.

You might try using a hairdryer to make it hot, and once again... twist it off, don't pull!

a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2004 6:12:29 AM

First of all, my Visiontek cards have all been of high quality. Second, using glue was common a few years ago...looks like they just held out a bit longer than average. I always pop off the sink with a knife, sometimes I protect the circuits from the edge of the knife with a credit card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 8, 2004 7:51:30 AM

Well first thanks for another suggestion because with a little heat and my trusty Spiderco that sink did pop off ;) 
Also I see know why it probably was harder then normal ... well the "glue" looks a little brown on the edges so I would assume that with the fan died it cooked that "glue" a little causing it to harden up a little more ;) 
--> However this brings me to my next question ... The "glue" that is left on the GPU there How to remove it? or just leave it as I will be putting some more thermal grease where it was . ?

- To Crash & all the other Veterans of the THG Forums :)  -
Thanks for all the replies you do great work here on these forums providing solid advise So from a newbie here Thanks not only for your responses to my problems but the others I have read too.

And now Crash - about the "old" VisionTek (by old I mean when they were making nV cards because now there cards are ATI based that is because ‘VisionTek went belly up and another company has since bought the right to use there name, & since I have not used them since the change I cannot speak to it.)
Ok having said that.
I have had a total of 6 VisionTek cards and 4 have had problems. 1 of those was a DOA. The other 3 the fan had failed and then 2 fried.
However it I did the same and pulled the heat sink when I first got them and put on a better Heatsink and fan well then things would have been better
So what is the moral here given my and Crash’s Experience ... IF you have a nV based VisionTek Card LOK INTO A NEW HeatSink & FAN ;) 

Cheers all ( sorry for the long post “or my multi-fames worth ;) 
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2004 7:58:20 AM

I used to scrape the glue off the die with a sigle edged razor blade. Now I use a razor-edged (flat) pocket knife blade. As long as you hold the blade perfectly flat and it's a smooth blade (no nicks), it won't scratch the core.

Every old card I've had with a fan...has had a fan failure. It's the nature of GPU fans, the bearing is too short because the fan is too thin. And the fan is too thin because it's made to fit in a single slot. I've replaced them most often with 40mm CPU fans, which are 10mm thick and have a longer bearing.

The space constraints on a GPU fan means the bearing will suffer from more blade wobble than most other fans, causing fairly rapid wear.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 8, 2004 8:20:17 AM

The Razor blade Being VERY careful it actually what I just just attempting because I have one of those small blade holder designed for scraping.
What a bout using a very small amount of iso. alcohol and a swab?
I think that is waht read that on the direction once for an old thermal grease pack for removing old compond from a heatsink.
Also goo point about the fans ... Death to heat and friction ;) 
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2004 8:28:11 AM

Alcohol only softens the glue very slightly. Go ahead and use it if you like.

May 8, 2004 8:38:55 AM

Any aftermarket Heatsink and fan that you have had luck with (For Ti4200 128mb)

cheers
a b U Graphics card
May 8, 2004 5:42:22 PM

Nope, I always either replace the fan on the stock sink with a 40mm CPU fan, or I put on a passive cooler and screw a 40mm CPU fan to that.

!