Is this a good gaming laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merk Ethan

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
I was looking at a laptop from iBUYPOWER, and I customized it a bit.

Here are the specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM Mobile Processor (4x 2.3GHz/6MB L3 Cache
8GB [4GB x 2] 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM [Laptop Memory] - Corsair or Major Brand
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 2GB GDDR5 Video [W110ER]
750 GB 7200rpm Serial-ATA Super Slim Laptop Hard Drive
Battalion 101 W110ER 11.6" HD 1366x768 LED-Backlit Display Laptop w/HDMI Port, USB 3.0, Li-Ion Battery, Universal AC Power Adapter

I'll be using it for screen recording, livestreaming, video editing, web browsing, and of course gaming.

I'd like the games I play to at least be able to be played on medium settings. The games I'll be playing are Skyrim, Assassin's Creed (all four of them), The Witcher 2, Minecraft, BF3, MW3, Diablo III, and some other games as I find them. The website says that it can run most of them on Ultra settings, but I just wanted to make sure here.

Thanks!

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I have the Sager NP6110 (which is actually a rebranded Clevo W110er, which is what you have). I can promise you that you can play Skyrim on Ultra with the high res packs. The other games I can't say, but if it can handle Skyrim on Ultra, there is no reason it can't handle any games on High.

I also use the laptop for business stuff, and it plows right through all that. So its a great laptop, well worth it if you are wanting a small and portable gaming laptop.

Merk Ethan

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Alright, thanks. I have one more question. What if I replaced the graphics card with one that is 630M 1 GB of VRAM. Would it still be able to run Skyrim as well? What about the other games, like Battlefield 3?

silvermink

Honorable
May 28, 2012
That machine will get great FPS. But you're spending a lot of money on a laptop with very low resolution and a tiny screen.

The 630M is a roulette wheel as to what you get. It will run skyrim, but it can be 1 of 3 or 4 different configurations. Is it a GDDR5 version?

Goldenleaf

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I have to agree with Silvermink, that is one damn small screen to be playing games on, especially with such a small resolution, I would personally try and find one with at least a 15.6" screen and around 1680 x 1050 res would do you well.
Also I would be tempted to try to get an i7 with a bit more power than 2.3ghz unless you intend to overclock, it will come in handy when you're editing video etc.

That's just my opinion, then again I'm a desktop gamer...
Btw if you haven't already played Skyrim, get ready to have your socks blown off, though the main quest is a bit short...

Hope that helped at all.

G

I have the Sager NP6110 - believe me, on a 11.6" screen, you would not want a res higher than 1366x768. This is an awesome laptop though - and at under 4lbs (including the battery pack!) it is made for mobility - which is exactly why laptops exist in the first place. If you want a bigger screen, get a desktop lol! - many of the 15" laptops are more than double the weight of this thing. Besides, this has an HDMI port so you can plug a bigger screen in when you are not using it as a mobile pc anyway. This model comes with the GTX650M (the 2GB model btw), and if you get it with the i7-3610QM CPU, you have one powerful CPU/GPU combination in a very lightweight package. I run BF3 on high/ultra with no problem whatsoever. Yes the screen feels small after playing on a 23.5" desktop, but not so small that I can't play BF3 competently... and it's a laptop after all - it's meant to be compact for mobility reasons. FYI my desktop runs a i7-980 CPU and 2 x GTX 580 GPU's (SLI) at 1920x1080, and gameplay in BF3 is totally acceptable on the NP6110.

It really comes down to why you want a laptop in the first place - if it's for mobility, then the NP6110 is definitely worth considering, but if mobility is not a concern, then you're probably better off getting a desktop for your money.

p.s. this leaves Alienware's M11x in the dust - and for less $. The only thing it does not have is a backlit keyboard.

p.p.s. I purchased mine with the 750GB hybrid drive (with 8GB SSD memory, 32MB cache, SATA3) and it was worth the additional money over a standard 750GB mech drive - a significant improvement in boot times and commonly used programs, without having the expense of say a 240GB SSD instead.

shockmoth

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
Hi i have had the 101 W110ER for about 3 months now - as upgraded as I can get. Nice- but definitely a bit more bulky than I would prefer. Heres the problem with it - the mousepad may be the worst ive ever seen - its pretty much un-useable. You HAVE to - I mean HAVE TO plug in a mouse - otherwise your palm will nick it after about 4 seconds and move your cursor mid type. Not a deal breaker by any means since this guys is such a little powerhouse- but annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.