Reformatting & merging partitions

I have a second drive in my machine that has 2 partitions on it. I would
like to seee both partitions refirmatted & merged together. Can this be
done in Windows using XP Pro from the command line or in some other way &
if so what command would I have to enter? Failing this how would this be
done using 3 rd party software like Partition Magic?

Thanks for any help.
13 answers Last reply
More about reformatting merging partitions

    In news:%23xbgM1RSFHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    Confused <videot@optusnet.com.au> respectfully replied ;-)
    > I have a second drive in my machine that has 2 partitions on it. I
    > would like to seee both partitions refirmatted & merged together. Can this
    > be done in Windows using XP Pro from the command line or in
    > some other way & if so what command would I have to enter? Failing
    > this how would this be done using 3 rd party software like Partition
    > Magic?
    > Thanks for any help.

    Yes, but you will lose all information on the hard drives.
    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Format XP
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Confused wrote:

    > I have a second drive in my machine that has 2 partitions on it. I would
    > like to seee both partitions refirmatted & merged together. Can this be
    > done in Windows using XP Pro from the command line or in some other way &
    > if so what command would I have to enter? Failing this how would this be
    > done using 3 rd party software like Partition Magic?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    Delete the existing partitions on the drive:

    Start/Settings/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer
    Management/Disk Management

    Right click each partition and select 'Delete'. I would start from the
    back of the disk and work toward the root to avoid hassles from logical
    partitions contained within a primary. When they are all deleted create
    one new partition spanning the entire drive. Format it, assign a drive
    letter and you are in business.

    John

    I only wish to format my second drive & not do a clean reinstall of XP. Can
    I still use the information from the link you sent me?

    Confused wrote:
    > I only wish to format my second drive & not do a clean reinstall of
    > XP. Can I still use the information from the link you sent me?

    How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313348

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    In news:%23$97MMSSFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Confused <videot@optusnet.com.au> respectfully replied ;-)
    > I only wish to format my second drive & not do a clean reinstall of
    > XP. Can I still use the information from the link you sent me?

    Yes, "Format non-system hard drive or partition using XP Disk Management"
    You can even print it out if you like.

    Michael Stevens wrote:

    > In news:%23$97MMSSFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    > Confused <videot@optusnet.com.au> respectfully replied ;-)
    >
    >>I only wish to format my second drive & not do a clean reinstall of
    >>XP. Can I still use the information from the link you sent me?
    >>

    > Yes, "Format non-system hard drive or partition using XP Disk Management"
    > You can even print it out if you like.
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm

    Clean install/repair install? Dude - reread the op's post and correct
    your boiler plate.

    John

    In news:%BWae.2849$RD.242@trndny02,
    John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Michael Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> In news:%23$97MMSSFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >> Confused <videot@optusnet.com.au> respectfully replied ;-)
    >>
    >>> I only wish to format my second drive & not do a clean reinstall of
    >>> XP. Can I still use the information from the link you sent me?
    >>>

    >> Yes, "Format non-system hard drive or partition using XP Disk
    >> Management" You can even print it out if you like.
    >> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
    >
    > Clean install/repair install? Dude - reread the op's post and
    > correct your boiler plate.
    >
    > John

    What are you talking about, he wants to format a second hard drive with two
    partitions, I sent him to my Format page. Nothing in the boilerplate with
    Clean install/repair install. "Dude", you need to reread the OP.

    --

    Michael Stevens wrote:

    > In news:%BWae.2849$RD.242@trndny02,
    > John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    >
    >>Michael Stevens wrote:
    >>

    >>>In news:%23$97MMSSFHA.3704@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    >>>Confused <videot@optusnet.com.au> respectfully replied ;-)

    >>>Yes, "Format non-system hard drive or partition using XP Disk
    >>>Management" You can even print it out if you like.
    >>> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
    >>
    >>Clean install/repair install? Dude - reread the op's post and
    >>correct your boiler plate.
    >>
    >>John
    >

    > What are you talking about, he wants to format a second hard drive with two
    > partitions, I sent him to my Format page. Nothing in the boilerplate with
    > Clean install/repair install. "Dude", you need to reread the OP.

    You need to read the page you sent.

    In news:b_Wae.2852$RD.1344@trndny02,
    John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Michael Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> In news:%BWae.2849$RD.242@trndny02,
    >> John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)

    >>> Clean install/repair install? Dude - reread the op's post and
    >>> correct your boiler plate.
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>

    >> What are you talking about, he wants to format a second hard drive
    >> with two partitions, I sent him to my Format page. Nothing in the
    >> boilerplate with Clean install/repair install. "Dude", you need to
    >> reread the OP.
    > You need to read the page you sent.

    I wrote it, it deals with different formatting situations and information to
    determine if a format is the right choice. Sorry your comprehension is
    lacking. So for you and others that may get confused, I removed one
    paragraph and added one. Took out some white space, now hopefully you can
    now see that the web page titled "How do I format a NTFS, Fat/Fat32 drive
    with XP installed?" in bold 18pt fonts does deal with formatting. 8-)

    http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm

    --

    Michael Stevens wrote:

    > In news:b_Wae.2852$RD.1344@trndny02,
    > John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    >
    >>Michael Stevens wrote:
    >>

    >>>In news:%BWae.2849$RD.242@trndny02,
    >>>John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)

    >>>What are you talking about, he wants to format a second hard drive
    >>>with two partitions, I sent him to my Format page. Nothing in the
    >>>boilerplate with Clean install/repair install. "Dude", you need to
    >>>reread the OP.
    >>
    >>You need to read the page you sent.
    >

    > I wrote it, it deals with different formatting situations and information to
    > determine if a format is the right choice. Sorry your comprehension is
    > lacking. So for you and others that may get confused, I removed one
    > paragraph and added one. Took out some white space, now hopefully you can
    > now see that the web page titled "How do I format a NTFS, Fat/Fat32 drive
    > with XP installed?" in bold 18pt fonts does deal with formatting. 8-)
    >
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm

    Cool!

    *Clean install* loudly displayed at the top of the page was a just a
    little misleading to the op's post ;)

    The very thing he/she and I zeroed in on. Keep up the good work Mike I
    have used your helpful information on many occasions and would recommend
    your responses as some of the the best about.

    John

    In news:U8Yae.7364$O2.6632@trndny04,
    John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    > Michael Stevens wrote:
    >
    >> In news:b_Wae.2852$RD.1344@trndny02,
    >> John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)

    >>> You need to read the page you sent.
    >>

    >> I wrote it, it deals with different formatting situations and
    >> information to determine if a format is the right choice. Sorry your
    >> comprehension is lacking. So for you and others that may get
    >> confused, I removed one paragraph and added one. Took out some white
    >> space, now hopefully you can now see that the web page titled "How
    >> do I format a NTFS, Fat/Fat32 drive with XP installed?" in bold 18pt
    >> fonts does deal with formatting. 8-)
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
    >>

    > Cool!
    >
    > *Clean install* loudly displayed at the top of the page was a just a
    > little misleading to the op's post ;)
    >
    > The very thing he/she and I zeroed in on. Keep up the good work Mike I
    > have used your helpful information on many occasions and would
    > recommend your responses as some of the the best about.
    >
    > John

    John,
    Thanks for the nice words.
    Forced me to tweak the pages a bit and fix a couple layout glitches.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XPnojs.htm
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_xp.txt

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Michael Stevens wrote:

    > In news:U8Yae.7364$O2.6632@trndny04,
    > John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)
    >
    >>Michael Stevens wrote:
    >>

    >>>In news:b_Wae.2852$RD.1344@trndny02,
    >>>John <John@nowhere.com> respectfully replied ;-)

    >>>I wrote it, it deals with different formatting situations and
    >>>information to determine if a format is the right choice. Sorry your
    >>>comprehension is lacking. So for you and others that may get
    >>>confused, I removed one paragraph and added one. Took out some white
    >>>space, now hopefully you can now see that the web page titled "How
    >>>do I format a NTFS, Fat/Fat32 drive with XP installed?" in bold 18pt
    >>>fonts does deal with formatting. 8-)
    >>>http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
    >>>

    >>Cool!
    >>
    >>*Clean install* loudly displayed at the top of the page was a just a
    >>little misleading to the op's post ;)
    >>
    >>The very thing he/she and I zeroed in on. Keep up the good work Mike I
    >>have used your helpful information on many occasions and would
    >>recommend your responses as some of the the best about.
    >>
    >>John
    >

    > John,
    > Thanks for the nice words.
    > Forced me to tweak the pages a bit and fix a couple layout glitches.
    > 8-)
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XPnojs.htm
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_xp.txt

    You are welcome ;)

    John
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Do you want to keep the data on your second HD? If so, Partition Magic will
    do this.

    Brian

    "Confused" <videot@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
    >I have a second drive in my machine that has 2 partitions on it. I would
    > like to seee both partitions refirmatted & merged together. Can this be
    > done in Windows using XP Pro from the command line or in some other way &
    > if so what command would I have to enter? Failing this how would this be
    > done using 3 rd party software like Partition Magic?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

Windows XP