CRC Errors

April 25, 2005 2:33:33 AM

I am beginning to have a number of bad sectors on a Windows 98 PC
primary hard drive. I have been running a surface scan with Scandisk on
the drive to copy the data from the bad sectors to good ones so I can
backup the drive to a second hard drive with Drive Image. I have run
the surface scan several times until it stopped finding bad sectors.

However, when I run drive image on a disk to disk cloning operation it
copies about 72% of the drive and then halts with a CRC error. It does
not give me any information as to what file(s) has the CRC error.
Chances are that it is a file I can delete anyway. Does anyone know of
a way to scan the drive and find the CRC error files? A normal run of
scandisk shows no errors but the bad sectors which are now marked bad.

--
Roy

More about : crc errors

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 2:33:34 AM

"Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message
>I am beginning to have a number of bad sectors on a Windows 98 PC primary
>hard drive. I have been running a surface scan with Scandisk on the drive
>to copy the data from the bad sectors to good ones so I can backup the
>drive to a second hard drive with Drive Image. I have run the surface scan
>several times until it stopped finding bad sectors.
>
> However, when I run drive image on a disk to disk cloning operation it
> copies about 72% of the drive and then halts with a CRC error. It does
> not give me any information as to what file(s) has the CRC error. Chances
> are that it is a file I can delete anyway. Does anyone know of a way to
> scan the drive and find the CRC error files? A normal run of scandisk
> shows no errors but the bad sectors which are now marked bad.
>
> --
> Roy

This is a Windows XP newsgroup. This would be better asked in a Win98
newsgroup.

Does the drive still boot to Windows 98. If it does set it to the master and
the new drive to the slave. I am assuming the drive is already partitioned
and is drive D: In Windows start a command prompt and type:

format D: /s

Once it is finished type

xcopy c:\*.* d:\ /s/e/c/h/r/k

When prompted to overwrite files pick Yes.

Once it is finished remove the old drive and set the new drive as the
master. Boot from a floppy disk and run fdisk to mark the partition as
active. Windows should now boot and run fine as long as any of the bad files
were not system files.

This will copy all the files and ignore any errors. Note this only works in
9x versions of Windows.

Kerry
April 25, 2005 7:28:24 AM

Kerry Brown wrote:
> "Roy" <qrm5qrt@whoopie.org> wrote in message
>
>>I am beginning to have a number of bad sectors on a Windows 98 PC primary
>>hard drive. I have been running a surface scan with Scandisk on the drive
>>to copy the data from the bad sectors to good ones so I can backup the
>>drive to a second hard drive with Drive Image. I have run the surface scan
>>several times until it stopped finding bad sectors.
>>
>>However, when I run drive image on a disk to disk cloning operation it
>>copies about 72% of the drive and then halts with a CRC error. It does
>>not give me any information as to what file(s) has the CRC error. Chances
>>are that it is a file I can delete anyway. Does anyone know of a way to
>>scan the drive and find the CRC error files? A normal run of scandisk
>>shows no errors but the bad sectors which are now marked bad.
>>
>>--
>>Roy
>

> This is a Windows XP newsgroup. This would be better asked in a Win98
> newsgroup.
>
> Does the drive still boot to Windows 98. If it does set it to the master and
> the new drive to the slave. I am assuming the drive is already partitioned
> and is drive D: In Windows start a command prompt and type:
>
> format D: /s
>
> Once it is finished type
>
> xcopy c:\*.* d:\ /s/e/c/h/r/k
>
> When prompted to overwrite files pick Yes.
>
> Once it is finished remove the old drive and set the new drive as the
> master. Boot from a floppy disk and run fdisk to mark the partition as
> active. Windows should now boot and run fine as long as any of the bad files
> were not system files.
>
> This will copy all the files and ignore any errors. Note this only works in
> 9x versions of Windows.
>
> Kerry

Hey Kerry, thanks. I was about to try that but wasn't through trying to
find the CRC errored file(s). However, all has failed to get past that
point now so I will do as you suggest tomorrow morning. The primary
drive still boots and all my frequently used programs still execute all
OK. In fact I can't tell I have the problem except for a bootup warning
message and the subsequent surface scans I did. I have over 60 bad
sectors, all low down in the scanning graphics display. The second hard
drive has two partitions on it, one for the C: partition drive Drive
Image clone and the second one for the D: partition clone. Both
partitions are hidden. I will unhide the first one and format it with
the /s parameter and then xcopy the C: partition to it and restore that
partition to the new drive when it is installed. I guess I will
eventually run across the CRC errored file and can delete/replace it at
that time.

Thanks again for the help. Sorry about the mixup on the Win98 posting
on this group. I have an XP machine as my main one but use the old
Win98 machine for controlling radio and antenna rotor equipment with a
legacy ISA special purpose card.

Roy
!