What Notebooks are good for cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekzhu703

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hey guys, recently my high school has adopted a BYOT strategy. (Bring Your Own Technology)
So i wanted to get a netbook to be able to bring to school and take notes and pretty basic functions. I will not want to game which is obvious because i want a netbook. Also i recently spent around 900 dollars on AMAZING gaming desktop that i personally built so i don't want the net book to cost to much. I just wanted something that can watch videos, type notes, Type documents, Surf the web etc. I was thinking that every so often i would link my netbook to my desktop to back data and stuff. I was thinking somewhere around the 200 dollar range. I don't want to get a laptop because they are too expensive i don't really care if they are kind of old the money aspect comes first. I rather have something that types documents and has slow internet and pay like 100 dollars for it than a blazing fast thing that costed 350.
thanks guys!

inanition02

Distinguished

ekzhu703

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Ok sorry for such a late reply but i was thinking i would but linux on it and skip windows 7 as it is extra cha-ching. would it run good? Like could i read documents my teachers send out electronically and would i be able to print like normally using a linux/ubuntu based text writer?
thanks for all the replies so far!

inanition02

Distinguished

If they are sent in PDF, yes. If they are in MS Word format, then you could use OpenOffice, but it's not perfect compatibility-wise (text will be all there, but the formatting might be off). Not a big deal on opening documents, but creating them would be a pain to ensure your teacher will see your paper in exactly the way you want.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008

Very few manufacturers let you not buy a Win 7 license, so putting Linux on a laptop won't save you any money, since the cost is already factored into the netbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.