"Windows Explorer Has Encountered An Internal Error And Ne..

I have Windows XP Professional SP1 on my Dell Dimension 8300.

Every few hours, just after I do something totally harmless like
double-clicking on a folder, I get the error popup, "Windows Explorer
has encountered an internal error and needs to close". Even though I
never opened Windows Explorer in the first place.

When I click on that dialog, the entire screen blanks out for a moment
showing just the background color. Then it returns but most of my
program icons in the Notification Area on the right side of the Toolbar
disappear permanently. They've even disappeared from "Taskbar and Start
Menu Properties." The only way I have been able to get the icons back
is to reboot.

I searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base and found a couple of instances
of that error message, but they don't match these symptoms I've experienced.

Any ideas?

--
Steven D. Litvintchouk
Email: sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

Your notification area programs are faulty. Get non faulty ones. They were told to put the icon up but ignored the message.

David Candy wrote:

> Your notification area programs are faulty. Get non faulty ones. They were told to put the icon up but ignored the message.

But why do I even get the error message in the first place?

--

> David Candy wrote:
>
>> Your notification area programs are faulty. Get non faulty ones. They
>> were told to put the icon up but ignored the message.
>>

> But why do I even get the error message in the first place?
>

> --
> Steven D. Litvintchouk
> Email: sdlitvin@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
>
> Remove the NOSPAM before replying to me.

Look in the Event Viewer and see if there's any clue what caused the fault.

Looks like Explorer.exe along with other system files could've got corrupted
so try doing a sfc /scannow (start -> run -> sfc /scannow) preferebly in
safemode to fix the problem. Also try a system restore. You may require the
Dimension XP Re-Installation CD.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Aravindan.