I am running xp sp2 on a p4 toshiba laptop. One day I logon and my start
menu (and entire bar) has dissapeared. What happened and how can I fix this?

THanks!

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:321DE242-47A2-440B-A545-A689153EEC5B@microsoft.com,
skriz <skriz@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am running xp sp2 on a p4 toshiba laptop. One day I logon and my
> start menu (and entire bar) has dissapeared. What happened and how
> can I fix this?
>
> THanks!

It sounds like your explorer.exe isn't running. Press CTRL + ALT + DEL and
then (if required) click task manager. Click on File > New Task (run) > type
in "explorer.exe" and hit enter. From there you might want to do a restore
to a day before this problem happened.

Galen

I can see explorer.exe running in processes. I tried running it again
anyway, but it just opened up My Documents. I terminated explorer.exe and
ran it again. this time it did nothing. How do I restore without a taskbar
or start menu?

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:321DE242-47A2-440B-A545-A689153EEC5B@microsoft.com,
> skriz <skriz@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I am running xp sp2 on a p4 toshiba laptop. One day I logon and my
> > start menu (and entire bar) has dissapeared. What happened and how
> > can I fix this?
> >
> > THanks!
>
> It sounds like your explorer.exe isn't running. Press CTRL + ALT + DEL and
> then (if required) click task manager. Click on File > New Task (run) > type
> in "explorer.exe" and hit enter. From there you might want to do a restore
> to a day before this problem happened.
>
> Galen
> --
> Signature changed for a moment of silence.
> Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:48082353-98F3-458A-A848-B24590E8DD63@microsoft.com,
skriz <skriz@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I can see explorer.exe running in processes. I tried running it again
> anyway, but it just opened up My Documents. I terminated
> explorer.exe and ran it again. this time it did nothing. How do I
> restore without a taskbar or start menu?

You can press CTRL + ALT + DELETE > and get FILE > NEW TASK from the task
manager. From there the command is
"%SystemRoot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe" without the quotes.

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

Sysytem restore had been turned off for some reason. So, now what?

In news:25811421-D865-46E8-B72F-59B0301D4A2F@microsoft.com,
skriz <skriz@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Sysytem restore had been turned off for some reason. So, now what?

My guess is you've been hit with malware of some type. Reboot to safe mode,
select admin, log in, and create a new profile and then move stuff over...
Here's some directions:

305506 - How to Identify a Damaged User Profile and Create a New Profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305506

Galen

mental exaltation." -- Sherlock Holmes

I went to this website and in one click it was automatically repaired! Can
you check it out and let me know if I did more damage than good?

skriz

In news:96AB923B-4A2E-41EA-8D34-AD0C37121F75@microsoft.com,
skriz <skriz@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I went to this website and in one click it was automatically
> repaired! Can you check it out and let me know if I did more damage
> than good?

> skriz

LOL That's Kelly's site. If it came from Kelly it's probably not going to
harm anything unless you've some extremely unusual settings. She's often
poking about in the different groups and is a MS MVP whom I've known for
quite a while yet.