radeon 9600xt problem

Kabome

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
I have an asus 9600 xt which has been fine, recently however i've been having trouble with outputting video to a tv, i'm doing it the way i've always done in setting up the tv as a second monitor since the card supports dual displays, but recently the image has been coming out really dark, i've checked over the cable connections and everything, but to no avail, i'm just wondering if anyone out there has encountered a similar situation and what their remedy was, before i start getting drastic and doing formats, i've already tried driver reinstallation, hopefully the hardware has not failed somehow, i'd be a pissoff if i had to do an rma.

thanks in advance,

kabome

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can try turning up the gama on that screen. You have to select that "monitor" before you do the adjustments.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Kabome

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2003
I've searched through the display settings for the tv when its been plugged in, i couldn't find a gamma setting for the desktop, only a game gamma which didn't affect anything. There is a desktop brightness setting but it still remained dark just more lightly washed, if you can point me to the correct gamma setting in the ati control panel I would be much appreciative

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I no longer have a TV connected to my PC, so I can't check, but can't you controll it from the "Color" tab in Advanced Display Properties?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
[-peep-]!!! so i'm not going blind!!! the very same thing happened to me. I really don't believe is a settings problem. I noticed it after making some routine maintenance stuff in my computer (installing a floppy, messing with the IDE cables, nothing video related). I don't think is a TV problem either, I tried with another TV, and it still looked dark

My card is a Hercules 9800 Pro (almost new). I really would hate to find out it's a card problem (as someone had a theory).

BTW, is it true that you have a chance of damaging the card if you connect the TV-out cable while both the computer and the TV are up and running? (also another rumor I heard). If so, could this be the problem in this case?

"I cannot give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma"
- The Wizard of Oz, talking to the Scarecrow

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
After some google-ing, I think I found something (and it's not good news :frown: ):
<A HREF="http://www.electro-tech-online.com/viewtopic.php?t=8769" target="_new">http://www.electro-tech-online.com/viewtopic.php?t=8769</A>
Looks like we managed to break our toys....
Now does anyone know something about video-amps? are they for sale, or about how much do they cost?

"I cannot give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma"
- The Wizard of Oz, talking to the Scarecrow<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by cryo on 05/11/04 03:42 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Mithrandire

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
I think I have a similar problem. Basically my computer runs fine and fast on the desktop, but after just a few minutes in any game (total war and morrowind) I crash or get the VPU recover. The comp aint hot and I've already tried several catalyst drivers. I also tried taking agp to x4 and turning off the VPU recover. Any ideas?

asus a7n8x-x athlon xp-3000 (windows xp hehe)
1 gig pc 3200 ram ddr 400
420 psu
RADEON 9600XT 256 ram

edited to include what else ive tried.....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mithrandire on 05/21/04 09:27 AM.</EM></FONT></P>