Accessing another computer

Hello,

Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to
my son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could access
his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere allow this
type of access? We are both using XP Home.

Thanks,

Steve
5 answers Last reply
More about accessing computer

    Why not use remote assistance?

    Steve wrote:
    > Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to
    > my son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
    > computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
    > it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could
    > access his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere
    > allow this type of access? We are both using XP Home.

    HOW TO: Enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305608

    Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300546

    HOW TO: Obtain Remote Assistance Using Windows Messenger in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306556

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Steve,
    Since you didn't know about PC Anywhere, it's main function is what you
    asked for, it would seem you do not do much research on your own?. You are
    inviting disaster if you do not do your homework about remote desktop. You
    see, if you can get in, well.......what about the hacker with tons of
    knowledge and a mean streak. Do yourself a favor read up on all the
    precautions first. This is only meant to help, not hurt!~
    Frank L

    "Steve" <Steve@hello.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to my
    > son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
    > computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
    > it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could access
    > his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere allow this type
    > of access? We are both using XP Home.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    On this day, 4/24/2005 9:18 PM, the esteemed Frank gave forth this bit
    of wisdom:
    > Steve,
    > Since you didn't know about PC Anywhere, it's main function is what you
    > asked for, it would seem you do not do much research on your own?. You are
    > inviting disaster if you do not do your homework about remote desktop. You
    > see, if you can get in, well.......what about the hacker with tons of
    > knowledge and a mean streak. Do yourself a favor read up on all the
    > precautions first. This is only meant to help, not hurt!~
    > Frank L
    >
    > "Steve" <Steve@hello.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to my
    >> son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
    >> computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
    >> it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could access
    >> his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere allow this type
    >> of access? We are both using XP Home.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Steve

    Thanks for the replies and the caution.

    Steve

    "Steve" <Steve@hello.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to my
    > son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
    > computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
    > it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could access
    > his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere allow this type
    > of access? We are both using XP Home.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve

    Remote assistance will do that, but since he's out of state, he might be
    better off cultivating someone local that he can trust. RA will only work if
    his computer and his internet access are functional (and fast, or it's going
    to be a long, painful process) so you won't be able to help him in every
    situation. If he has someone local he can rely on, he can get help when the
    computer isn't starting, he can't get online, or when there's a hardware
    problem.

    And, if he has to pay for help, he may be more interested in learning a bit
    more about the computer and how to take care of it. With a little bit of
    care and maintenance, he really shouldn't have all that many computer
    problems that require outside assistance.

Support Computers Microsoft Windows XP