Accessing another computer

April 24, 2005 10:31:52 PM

Hello,

Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to
my son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could access
his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere allow this
type of access? We are both using XP Home.

Thanks,

Steve

More about : accessing computer

Anonymous
April 24, 2005 10:41:01 PM

Why not use remote assistance?

"Steve" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to
> my son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
> computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
> it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could access
> his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere allow this
> type of access? We are both using XP Home.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 12:42:51 AM

Steve wrote:
> Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to
> my son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
> computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
> it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could
> access his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere
> allow this type of access? We are both using XP Home.

HOW TO: Enable Remote Assistance in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305608

Overview of Remote Assistance in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300546

HOW TO: Obtain Remote Assistance Using Windows Messenger in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306556

--
<- Shenan ->
April 25, 2005 4:18:27 AM

Steve,
Since you didn't know about PC Anywhere, it's main function is what you
asked for, it would seem you do not do much research on your own?. You are
inviting disaster if you do not do your homework about remote desktop. You
see, if you can get in, well.......what about the hacker with tons of
knowledge and a mean streak. Do yourself a favor read up on all the
precautions first. This is only meant to help, not hurt!~
Frank L

"Steve" <Steve@hello.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to my
> son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
> computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
> it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could access
> his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere allow this type
> of access? We are both using XP Home.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
April 25, 2005 4:18:28 AM

On this day, 4/24/2005 9:18 PM, the esteemed Frank gave forth this bit
of wisdom:
> Steve,
> Since you didn't know about PC Anywhere, it's main function is what you
> asked for, it would seem you do not do much research on your own?. You are
> inviting disaster if you do not do your homework about remote desktop. You
> see, if you can get in, well.......what about the hacker with tons of
> knowledge and a mean streak. Do yourself a favor read up on all the
> precautions first. This is only meant to help, not hurt!~
> Frank L
>
> "Steve" <Steve@hello.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to my
>> son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
>> computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
>> it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could access
>> his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere allow this type
>> of access? We are both using XP Home.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve

Thanks for the replies and the caution.

Steve
Anonymous
April 25, 2005 4:24:32 AM

"Steve" <Steve@hello.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Is there a program that I can get that will allow me to have access to my
> son's computer? We live in different States and he frequently has
> computer problems. He knows very little about computer operation so
> it would be easier if he contacted me with a problem and I could access
> his computer to try to fix his problems. Would pcAnywhere allow this type
> of access? We are both using XP Home.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Remote assistance will do that, but since he's out of state, he might be
better off cultivating someone local that he can trust. RA will only work if
his computer and his internet access are functional (and fast, or it's going
to be a long, painful process) so you won't be able to help him in every
situation. If he has someone local he can rely on, he can get help when the
computer isn't starting, he can't get online, or when there's a hardware
problem.

And, if he has to pay for help, he may be more interested in learning a bit
more about the computer and how to take care of it. With a little bit of
care and maintenance, he really shouldn't have all that many computer
problems that require outside assistance.
!