CD dvd conflict

I must have gotten a virus recently, which disabled my McAfee, removed
drivers for my wireless network and for both my cd rw drive and dvd drive-I
removed the wireless card and was able to reboot, then power down, reinstall
my wireless card, then access the web. I still cant get my cd drivers or dvd
drivers installed...any help out there? I tried unplugging both then
individual drives, but win xp pro wont boot until I plug the flat ribbon and
or the power supply cable back in(must be daisy chained) I'm at wits
end-please help
Greg M
3 answers Last reply
More about conflict

    What do you mean not installed ? XP shoudl detect them with their own
    drivers no external drivers shoudl exist even ?

    Hope you did not plug power cables in while power was on, and power
    cable in the back of your case was pulled out. If not you might have
    dead drives :)

    Xp should detect and drive connected, unless its dead :(

    Still not sure the problem. Any other info.

    Might dry pluging each one into a serpate IDE port and make each one
    Primary if you know how.

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:19:02 -0700, "gm"
    <gm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I must have gotten a virus recently, which disabled my McAfee, removed
    >drivers for my wireless network and for both my cd rw drive and dvd drive-I
    >removed the wireless card and was able to reboot, then power down, reinstall
    >my wireless card, then access the web. I still cant get my cd drivers or dvd
    >drivers installed...any help out there? I tried unplugging both then
    >individual drives, but win xp pro wont boot until I plug the flat ribbon and
    >or the power supply cable back in(must be daisy chained) I'm at wits
    >end-please help
    >Greg M

    There was another microsoft answer in regards to this scenario when I typed
    code 39 dvd conflict, which explained how to remove registry entries for a hi
    and lo filter which not only resolved the problem on my desktop, but also
    resolved a dvd not being recognized on my brothers laptop(i suspect the bagle
    virus came to me from his email which was a link to oswaldo's thingy with a
    blonde taking it all)

    "Paul GoodBar" wrote:

    > What do you mean not installed ? XP shoudl detect them with their own
    > drivers no external drivers shoudl exist even ?
    >
    > Hope you did not plug power cables in while power was on, and power
    > cable in the back of your case was pulled out. If not you might have
    > dead drives :)
    >
    > Xp should detect and drive connected, unless its dead :(
    >
    > Still not sure the problem. Any other info.
    >
    > Might dry pluging each one into a serpate IDE port and make each one
    > Primary if you know how.
    >

    > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:19:02 -0700, "gm"
    > <gm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I must have gotten a virus recently, which disabled my McAfee, removed
    > >drivers for my wireless network and for both my cd rw drive and dvd drive-I
    > >removed the wireless card and was able to reboot, then power down, reinstall
    > >my wireless card, then access the web. I still cant get my cd drivers or dvd
    > >drivers installed...any help out there? I tried unplugging both then
    > >individual drives, but win xp pro wont boot until I plug the flat ribbon and
    > >or the power supply cable back in(must be daisy chained) I'm at wits
    > >end-please help
    > >Greg M

    This was the info I found that saved me:

    SYMPTOMS
    After you remove either compact disc (CD) recording software or other
    software from your computer, your computer may exhibit the following
    behavior: • In My Computer, there is no access to your CD-ROMs.
    • In Device Manager, the following error message appears in connection with
    any CD-ROM device that is part of your computer system:
    The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers
    required for this device (Code 31).
    • Device Manager displays the following error message:
    A driver for this device was not required, and has been disabled (Code 32 or
    Code 31).
    You may also receive an error Code 39 message that indicates that the driver
    is corrupted.

    • Device Manager displays the following error Code 19 message, which means
    that the registry returned some unknown result:
    Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)
    • You may also receive the following error message:
    Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
    find the hardware device. (Code 41)

    Back to the top

    RESOLUTION
    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry
    Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    To resolve this behavior, follow these steps: 1. Start Registry Editor
    (Regedt32.exe).
    2. Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    4. Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
    6. Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and
    the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular
    program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that
    software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for
    assistance.

    7. Restart your computer.

    Back to the top

    STATUS

    "gm" wrote:

    > I must have gotten a virus recently, which disabled my McAfee, removed
    > drivers for my wireless network and for both my cd rw drive and dvd drive-I
    > removed the wireless card and was able to reboot, then power down, reinstall
    > my wireless card, then access the web. I still cant get my cd drivers or dvd
    > drivers installed...any help out there? I tried unplugging both then
    > individual drives, but win xp pro wont boot until I plug the flat ribbon and
    > or the power supply cable back in(must be daisy chained) I'm at wits
    > end-please help
    > Greg M

Drivers CD-Rom Windows XP