Background task server closes

Every time I start Windows XP, I get "The background task server has
encountered a problem and needs to close." What does this mean and what can I
do to fix it?
--
kitkat

You can try a Repair or "Upgrade" setup

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)