Dell Cpi and new battery

Hi all!
I recently bought a new (as the seller refers)non-original battery for
my Cpi D266XT (really a 400 Mhz,since I upgraded the CPU myself),Bios A10.
The battery is #1691 compatible (3800 mAh).My AC adapter is the PA-6 9364U.
The problem is the battery.It simply doesn't charge.
My question:is it possible to know if the battery is dead?Or maybe
there's some trouble that I'm not able to found?I only can imagine a
failure on a laptop internal charge circuit,but...can it be so?
Please consider that the battery has been delivered with 50% charge,so
it seems obvious to figure out that it can reach almost a half charge.
Suggestions?
TIA
Lorenzo
2 answers Last reply
More about dell battery

    Lorenzo Cuciniello <lcuciniello@tiscali.it> wrote in

    > Hi all!
    > I recently bought a new (as the seller refers)non-original battery for
    > my Cpi D266XT (really a 400 Mhz,since I upgraded the CPU myself),Bios
    > A10. The battery is #1691 compatible (3800 mAh).My AC adapter is the
    > PA-6 9364U. The problem is the battery.It simply doesn't charge.
    > My question:is it possible to know if the battery is dead?Or maybe
    > there's some trouble that I'm not able to found?I only can imagine a
    > failure on a laptop internal charge circuit,but...can it be so?
    > Please consider that the battery has been delivered with 50% charge,so
    > it seems obvious to figure out that it can reach almost a half charge.
    > Suggestions?
    > TIA
    > Lorenzo

    The original Dell batteries have a battery test light on them, does your
    replacement battery ?

    On the Dell batteries for the C-series, it's on the side of the battery
    that plugs into the system. Press the white button, you should see a
    series of green LEDs light up. 5 LEDs=full charge. If you don't see at
    least 1 LED light up, it's dead. I've never been able to recharge a Dell
    battery pack that didn't start out with at least 1 LED lit up.

    On SOME laptops (Especially early Sharp laptops) a sufficiently dead
    battery DOES damage the charging circuit so that it can't charge even a
    new battery. I'd really doubt that on your CPi - I've salvaged some old
    CP's that had some really nasty long-dead batteries and it didn't hurt
    the laptop, the charging circuit on the C series seems to be fairly
    bulletproof.

    - FM -

    Hi Fred!
    Fred Mau wrote:

    > The original Dell batteries have a battery test light on them, does your
    > replacement battery ?
    I know 'bout and already tested it.It works very good on another Cpi
    like mine.The charge circuit of my laptop has gone...:-(

    > On SOME laptops (Especially early Sharp laptops) a sufficiently dead
    > battery DOES damage the charging circuit so that it can't charge even a
    > new battery.
    It's my case...
    Do you know which part I'd change in order to make it work again?I was
    considering to buy another new motherboard (# item?),but don't know if
    the charge circuitry is on it.I'm actually running with a Slackware
    Gnu/Linux 10.0 on it and I'm very happy 'bout its performances.Don't
    want to bury it!:-(
    Regards
    Lorenzo

Dell Battery Computers