AIW 9800 Pro Problems

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
This is the second time I'm having problems with a 9800 pro, the original one had to be RMA'd.

The ram seems to get incredibly hot to the touch. I don't know how hot it normally gets but I just decided to feel it after I saw <A HREF="http://home.comcast.net/~gothitbycar/index.html" target="_new"> this </A>.
Thats the worst it ever got but it normally just has the 4 or 5 vertical lines. This originally happened when I was watching tv on it so i figured, oh overheating, ill just turn it off, open it up and let a fan blow in it. After it was cooled down I started it up and blam, 5 minutes in it does it again. The strange part is that in 2d mode it will do it but when its 3d its perfect, no errors or anything. I also found it strange I could do a printscrn on it so I got happy thinking it was a software error. I rebooted once and the splash screen was also corrupted. Changed the drivers to no avail, fastwrites off and I was thinking of underclocking the memory but I want what I payed for so I'll RMA it first though I don't want too.

Any advice or recommendations? Like I said before, I don't want to RMA it.

Oh yeah, system specs:
asus K8V + athlon 64 3200+ (2.0Ghz)
1 GB memory @ CL3.0 (for the sake of stability)
2 36 gb raptors in Raid 0
AIW 9800 pro @ 378/337.5
Antec Trupower 430

-----------------------
[mind went blank]

cleeve

Illustrious
I'd RMA it for sure. Sounds wonky to me...

...even if you can get it to work, you'll probably have problems with it later on. Get a replacement.

hippo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
wow, I do get occational heat problems from my AIW 9800 pro, but only in 3d and the room temp is at 90 degree.

How's the system temp? Did u update to latest mobo bios? Why u RMA the first?

cleeve

Illustrious
What's your ambient case temperature, by the way?... how many fans do you have in your case?

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I had 3 fans in it, not counting the psu, processor and the 9800 pro. It just seemed to heat up when i was watching tv on it. The temp in the case i believe was around 35C. Processor is around 44C, mobo a little bit lower. I Put my 7000 in it and it works fine so i guess I will have to RMA it again. The original one had bad ram (I believe) but they replaced it though I had to wait 2 weeks.

My next card is going to have to be a Nvidia.

-----------------------
[mind went blank]

hippo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Usaully BBA quality isn't that bad. 2 bad cards in a roll is surprising.

Probably a long shot,1: have you try using a different output? ie. don't use the DVI(with/without adaptor) and use composite? 2: lower your refresh rate on the desktop ie. 75hz

Sorry to say, but I think u need RMA

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Its not at all surprising that this error showed up in a printscreen, as this uses the information in the graphics card's framebuffer.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?