Formatting Windows XP

alix

How do I format my computer? I am currently running Windows XP but it is
corrupted so I am unable to format the drive as recommended thru Windows XP.
As it is a NTFS system I am unable to format the computer via format and
fdisk normal ways. Any suggestions?

I can't access Windows XP by normal ways and I can't boot into Windows XP
via my CD (don't know why). And yes it is an original XP CD and no it is not
an upgrade. I have original set up disks for Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME and XP.
I can access fdisk and format but as it is NTFS system it is unable to
format the computer this way.

There has to be a way to wipe the whole computer - I just want to start from
scratch - BIOS onlY! Please help.

Hi

Please see the following article by Michael Stevens:

"How do I format a NTFS, Fat/Fat32 drive with XP installed"
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/format_XP.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Alix" <Alix@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I format my computer? I am currently running Windows XP but it is
> corrupted so I am unable to format the drive as recommended thru Windows
> XP.
> As it is a NTFS system I am unable to format the computer via format and
> fdisk normal ways. Any suggestions?
>
> I can't access Windows XP by normal ways and I can't boot into Windows XP
> via my CD (don't know why). And yes it is an original XP CD and no it is
> not
> an upgrade. I have original set up disks for Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME and
> XP.
> I can access fdisk and format but as it is NTFS system it is unable to
> format the computer this way.
>
> There has to be a way to wipe the whole computer - I just want to start
> from
> scratch - BIOS onlY! Please help.

alex

enter bios and set boot sequnce to cd first.rebbot with cd

it is possible that your pc does not boot from cd

alix

The computer is not that old - it comes up with a incorrect set up disk - but
I can't see what other CD I should be using. It is definitely an original
full version XP cd.

When I tried to do the winnt.exe thing it said cannot open in dos mode (?)

Alix wrote:
> How do I format my computer? I am currently running Windows XP but it is
> corrupted so I am unable to format the drive as recommended thru Windows XP.
> As it is a NTFS system I am unable to format the computer via format and
> fdisk normal ways. Any suggestions?
>
> I can't access Windows XP by normal ways and I can't boot into Windows XP
> via my CD (don't know why). And yes it is an original XP CD and no it is not
> an upgrade. I have original set up disks for Windows 3.1, 95, 98, ME and XP.
> I can access fdisk and format but as it is NTFS system it is unable to
> format the computer this way.
>
> There has to be a way to wipe the whole computer - I just want to start from
> scratch - BIOS onlY! Please help.

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm