best vid card for under 200$

amdark

Distinguished
May 11, 2004
im looking for some opinions, im buying a new comp and i was wonder what do consider the best card on the market under 200 dollars

PukePile

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2004
You should be able to get 9600 xt for under 200 but a sappihire 9800 pro is only 215 at new egg and that would be a much better buy.IMO

Oh yeah 40k
<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
</A>
P4b2.4@2.8||1024mb DDR@392mhz||9800pro@314/366||Viewsonic UltraBrite 19"||Kensington 800 dpi mouse.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
For ~$200, R9800 Pro is the best card

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
If you can spare $7, a $207 Sapphire 9800Pro at newegg.com is faster than anything else remotely close to that price range.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Everone agree : Radeon 9800 PRO is a good choice!

But, if you can wait a couple of weeks (or months). ATI and nVidia will probably drop prices of their cards or we might see some "mid-range" X800/6800 on the market in this price range. By the time, you can save money and buy a faster cards when the market will stabilise.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

pauldh

Illustrious
I honestly don't see the R9800pro dropping much more in price, nor do I see R9800XT getting near the $200 point. No other current card offers R9800pro performance, so what is there to wait for? Also, I do not believe that the next generation midrange cards will be near R9800pro performance. $300 cards sure that's possible, but $200 cards, no way. IMO R9800pro is the $200 card to buy and when they are gone, I doubt there will be a sub $200 card anytime soon to match its performance.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
9800 Pro only 5% faster?! What the hell have you been smoking? Wake up fargot.

Definately get the 9800 Pro.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

Could also be interesting to see what the X800SE has to bring to the table. I'm not expecting much but it's a consideration if you're in no hurry.

Right now, my choice, either an R9800Pro for the ~$200 mark, or and R9600Pro and save the difference and buy more memory, or beer, or more ginko because you have no memory because you drink too much beer! :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Damn beer...always getting in my way...I've got to go to school, I'm late! oh..PM..not AM, silly beer. You almost had me, not this time, you went down like a sack of potatoes. But maybe that movie was a true story, I better make sure. Carry on my Wayward Son! There'll be peice when you are done. Lay your weary head to rest...don't you cry no more...

screw the signature

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
save the difference and buy more memory, or beer, or more ginko because you have no memory because you drink too much beer!
I really like the fact that you like beer! I personaly love the <A HREF="http://www.unibroue.com/english.cfm" target="_new">Unibroue</A> products, they all have their own personnality and taste.

<b>A good recipe for a summer drink :</b>
1 <A HREF="http://www.unibroue.com/products/raftman.cfm" target="_new">Raftman</A> beer
About 30ml of concentrated Iced Tea (I usually buy <A HREF="http://www.nestle.ca/en/Products/Browse_by_Category/Beverages/Iced_Tea/Nestea_Concentrate.htm?view=BrandView" target="_new">Nestlé</A>)

Mix together and enjoy!

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I know this is off topic, but I had to post my grief. I fried my last 9800Pro and got another one. Here are the new dismal numbers (in comparison to the other).

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=1687479245" target="_new">AquaMark3</A>

-- the Doc

8PENXP(Rev.2)
P4 2.8C@3.4
512mb Mushkin 3500 Level II@472 (2-2-2)
R9800Pro@463/380
(grrrr.....I fried this one)
WD 80gb(SE)x2(RAID 0)

cleeve

Illustrious
I, too, am quite interested in seeing the X800SE... sure, it might have a 128-bit bus, but the X800 PRO blasts the 9800XT so hard that you have to wonder if an X800SE could keep up with the old king.

Then again, if the cheapest 6800 has 12 pipes and a 256 bit bus, it might be the market-leader in that category. The real interesting stuff will hit when these cards are introduced.

Knowing whose got the best card is nice, but knowing whose got the best card I can afford is the real deal.

Lakeboy

Distinguished
May 12, 2004
I think I'm going with the ATI 9800 Pro deal from Best Buy (Replace my GF4 MX420). Seems to be the best deal I've seen around. Plus I want to have everything hooked up in time for HL2.
I'm running a Dell 4550 P4 2.6 w/ 250w power supply. Sounds like I shouldn't have any problems with the psu? Can't wait to see what life is like out from underneath the mx420!!!

cleeve

Illustrious
Upgrading for an unreleased game is silly, because when the game is released, video cards will be cheaper.

Guaranteed.

As for the PSU, it might work, but if your system is unstable it'll be a likely culprit.

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
eh....I was silly and didn´t cool it enough. Did you see what I was running it at?
Anyways, I got another one, and in the luck of the draw I got one with hynix 2.8ns and the R350 core....oh well. Maybe that´s the way the vidcard gods keep me from frying another one of there own....by not being able to push it. This sucker doesn´t even get hot before it starts to show artifacts; the memory is really holding me back.

-- the Doc

8PENXP(Rev.2)
P4 2.8C@3.4
R9800Pro@463/380
WD 80gb(SE)x2(RAID 0)

BEST, the VERY <b>BEST</b>, UniBroue drink is <A HREF="http://www.unibroue.com/products/qqch.cfm" target="_new">Quelque Chose</A> (roughly translates to 'something or other' or 'a little something'). It's a like a porter or dark scotch ale WITH real Cherry Juice. OMG, it's F'n Great!!! But it's expensive in Alberta at $6-8 per 500ml bottle. (Cheaper in Quebec). It is just a GREAT brew. I use the Nestea stuff on it's own, that Raspberry stuff is good in CocaCola too. I will give the Raspberry a try with a little Raftman this weekend (it's supposed to be summer but there was about 8-10cm of snow on the ground yesterday!).

I like Raftman too, I like the fact that it also referments in the bottle with that little sediment of yeast and wurt. MMMmmmm Good Stuff! Maudite is GREAT even for the name alone.

I miss all the selection from Ontario Brewer's Retail stores (know 'The Beer Store') over 150 beers to choose from all local!

I also enjoyed Boreal Rousse, Blanche de Chambly, and even Okeefe Extra Old Stock, straight from the brewery. You can also get special brews like Sleeman RED, only available in Quebec and the Ottawa Valley.

Big Rock out here is ok, but nothing compares to Eastern Beer! Even Alpine and Moosehead is better IMO.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what they both do.

A higer clocked 128bit memory card doesn't make as much sense as a slower clocked 256bit memory card, as the memory is cheaper for lower speeds. 3.3ns 275mhz 256bit memory would make more sense IMO than 500mhz 128bit memory (just as made up examples).

Could be exciting. Als remember that there will be the RV380 and the R9550, as well as the RV410 mid-entry and RV370 low-end for the fall.

Alot of possible 'best fits' is you work hard at meeting your needs. The RV380 hasn't shown anything of interest, but it would be nice to see the feature set of the RV410.

TheFamilyGuy

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
show me a benchmark where there was more than a 5-7% proformance difference between the 9700pro and 9800pro. I've maybe seen one or 2, that being farcry. I was just mentioning the 9700pro cause he could go do something better with that 30$. Buy a case of beer or something. Never said it was the better card.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
BEST, the VERY BEST, UniBroue drink is Quelque Chose
The Quelque Chose is meant to be drink HOT. Have you tried it? It's something really different than drinking it cold. You can heat it into the microwave or on the oven. The taste it's so different. I personally don't like it much when it's served HOT, but it's something to try.

Byt the way, I live near Montreal. Have you heard the news that Sleeman bought Unibroue. I wish Sleeman will keep all the good Unibroue products and branding.

I use the Nestea stuff on it's own, that Raspberry stuff is good in CocaCola too. I will give the Raspberry a try with a little Raftman this weekend
You should get the "frozen citrus iced tea concentrate" from Nestea. It's the one I use and it's the one it's serve at <A HREF="http://www.fourquet-fourchette.com/en/" target="_new">Fourquet-Fourchette</A>. This restaurant have an association with Unibroue, all their meal use beer sauce or beer cooking. They only use local products, this is an incredible place! If someday, you come to Montreal you must go there.

I like the fact that it also referments in the bottle with that little sediment of yeast and wurt.
Most of Unibroue product referments in bottle. Is the U and U2 are available in Alberta, if you can get them. The are good summer beers, I personnaly really like the U2 which is very good with fine cheese.

I miss all the selection from Ontario Brewer's Retail stores (know 'The Beer Store') over 150 beers to choose from all local!
In Quebec, most grocery store offers at least 20 local and micro-brewery products. And usually a selection of imported beers (Heineken, Corona, etc...).

I also enjoyed Boreale Rousse
It's funny that you mention that beer, I live in Blainville the city where they brew this beer.

If you find someday "Le Cheval Blanc" products, try them, they are very good. A product I like from the west coast is the Rickard's Red, I know it's not a local beer anymore, but I like it!

Is this a Computer forum??? :smile:

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheRod on 05/13/04 08:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

DrJeckyl

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
hahaha@not plugging the fan in. Nope, the fan was plugged in, just pushed it a little too much....oh well. Was fun while it lasted, and didn´t have to pay for the new card, so no big deal.

-- the Doc

8PENXP(Rev.2)
P4 2.8C@3.4
R9800Pro@463/380
WD 80gb(SE)x2(RAID 0)

The Quelque Chose is meant to be drink HOT.
Yeah, but I prefer it cold, VERY cold in fact. It's just awesome!

I used to buy the frozen stuff when I lived out east. And yes their citrus is great, you can only buy the raspberry and lemon out here. I also liked the McCain's stuff, but you can get it here either.

I've seen adds for U2, but never actually had it. I'll be in Hull in the summer. I used to live in Montreal downtown, NDG and the Plateau in the early 90s.

In the city most of the grocery stores didn't carry great selection, they were more about volume, but they didn't do too bad, and there's something to be said for having beer at the local Dep.

I have tried Le Cheval Blanc stuff, but the one's that stick in my head are Unibroue, Boreal, and Okeefe. Brador was ok for Chili but mediocre for drinking.

And Computers + Beer is only natural, just look at any engineering department. :evil: