'Start', 'Programs' (Empty)

Sometimes the contents of my 'Start', 'Programs' menu disapears. If I click
the 'Programs' item the contents says (Empty). If I reboot the machine the
contents reappear.

Another problem I have, most often after rebooting is that my quick launch
bar disappears, each time I have to right click the start bar and re-tick
'Show Quick Lanuch'.

I've only recently re-installed windows xp from a full format. I'd be happy
if someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance
Gareth
3 answers Last reply
More about start programs empty

    Start Menu - 'All Programs' is empty or nothing happens when you click the menu:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/allprograms.htm

    and

    http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
    Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar

    "Gareth Evans" <garethevans@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Sometimes the contents of my 'Start', 'Programs' menu disapears. If I click the
    > 'Programs' item the contents says (Empty). If I reboot the machine the contents
    > reappear.
    >
    > Another problem I have, most often after rebooting is that my quick launch bar
    > disappears, each time I have to right click the start bar and re-tick 'Show Quick
    > Lanuch'.
    >
    > I've only recently re-installed windows xp from a full format. I'd be happy if
    > someone could help me out.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Gareth

    Thanks for the information, but I had already googled those links and my
    settings are all correct according to those details.

    Gareth

    "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Start Menu - 'All Programs' is empty or nothing happens when you click the
    > menu:
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/allprograms.htm
    >
    > and
    >
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
    > Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar
    >

    > "Gareth Evans" <garethevans@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Sometimes the contents of my 'Start', 'Programs' menu disapears. If I
    >> click the 'Programs' item the contents says (Empty). If I reboot the
    >> machine the contents reappear.
    >>
    >> Another problem I have, most often after rebooting is that my quick
    >> launch bar disappears, each time I have to right click the start bar and
    >> re-tick 'Show Quick Lanuch'.
    >>
    >> I've only recently re-installed windows xp from a full format. I'd be
    >> happy if someone could help me out.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Gareth

    Gareth,

    Follow the suggestions in first link provided by Taurarian. But in addition,
    fix the shell folder paths for the following:

    Common Start Menu (HKLM)
    Common Programs (HKLM)
    Start Menu (HKCU)
    Programs (HKCU)

    Default values for the above are available here:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htm

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    > Thanks for the information, but I had already googled those links and my
    > settings are all correct according to those details.
    >
    > Gareth
    >

    > "Taurarian" <taurarianREMOVECAPS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Start Menu - 'All Programs' is empty or nothing happens when you click
    >> the menu:
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/allprograms.htm
    >>
    >> and
    >>
    >> http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm
    >> Quick Launch settings are not saved; Search Assistant Toolbar in Taskbar
    >>

    >> "Gareth Evans" <garethevans@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Sometimes the contents of my 'Start', 'Programs' menu disapears. If I
    >>> click the 'Programs' item the contents says (Empty). If I reboot the
    >>> machine the contents reappear.
    >>>
    >>> Another problem I have, most often after rebooting is that my quick
    >>> launch bar disappears, each time I have to right click the start bar and
    >>> re-tick 'Show Quick Lanuch'.
    >>>
    >>> I've only recently re-installed windows xp from a full format. I'd be
    >>> happy if someone could help me out.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>> Gareth

Microsoft Windows XP