Basic query about a Labtec optical wireless mouse

I have a Dell Dim 2400 system with XP Home. I got this mouse as a present. I
like it; it works very nicely.

My question concerns the battery usage. It comes with 2 AAA batteries.

The documents say it will last 2-3 months. They also say to extend battery
life, remove receiver (from USB port) and snap in back of mouse (when I do
that it shuts off the mouse). That is a PAIN to do. I may do it, however.

I gather otherwise the mouse is always on? (My computer is on all day every
day). I assume the batteries are being used even when you are not using the
computer?? Is that true?

So, how long should I really expect the batteries to last if I don't remove
the receiver every time I leave the computer??

Also, the documentation doesn't say anything about using rechargeable
batteries. Can you?? If so, Can I use the NiMh ones?

Mel