'HELP! My Nokia 8390 doesn't work in my room!

I've been with Fido for the past four years and recently moved into a
1st-floor apartment at 125 Bamburgh Circle here in northwest Toronto. Moving
was a chore, but my main concern is the lack of reception in my bedroom. I'm
lucky to get one bar on my Nokia 8390 and it's driving me crazy.

I picked up a SonyEricsson Z200 for testing purposes and it's even worse.
The dilemma is: Do I buy a new phone and switch carriers (Rogers!!!)? Or do
I buy a better Fido phone (ie. SonyEricsson Z600 coming out this weekend)
with the hope of getting a decent reception in my new apartment?

I'm calling on all you Fido experts to give me some advice.

I'm desperate!

[[[Konfucius]]]
6 answers Last reply
More about help nokia 8390 doesn work room

    I would not rely on a new phone. If your signal is poor, it is poor.
    8390 is a good phone for reception, not the best, but good.

    I would talk to Fido, and make it clear that if they can't do anything
    about the issue, you are switching.

    If you are the only person with a problem there, they probably won't
    help, but if there are other complaints in the area, you might get them
    to tweak the settings on a tower to assist you.

    Their decision as to how important the issue is will depend on what your
    revenue to them is, whether it is a simple thing to fix (ie adjust an
    existing tower vs adding a tower/microcell) and whether there are other
    complaints.

    I have seen them respond where the solution was simple. I reported an
    issue several years ago at St. Georges School, and they did adjust the
    tower a few weeks later, and called me back to say it had been resolved,
    which it had.

    Konfucius wrote:
    > I've been with Fido for the past four years and recently moved into a
    > 1st-floor apartment at 125 Bamburgh Circle here in northwest Toronto. Moving
    > was a chore, but my main concern is the lack of reception in my bedroom. I'm
    > lucky to get one bar on my Nokia 8390 and it's driving me crazy.
    >
    > I picked up a SonyEricsson Z200 for testing purposes and it's even worse.
    > The dilemma is: Do I buy a new phone and switch carriers (Rogers!!!)? Or do
    > I buy a better Fido phone (ie. SonyEricsson Z600 coming out this weekend)
    > with the hope of getting a decent reception in my new apartment?
    >
    > I'm calling on all you Fido experts to give me some advice.
    >
    > I'm desperate!
    >
    > [[[Konfucius]]]

    The Z200 is not the best RF performer, it is more of a "style" phone. If
    you really want to see if another phone would help, try out a Siemens M55.
    Also, the 8390 is know to have quite some bugs (including with reception),
    if it does not have the right firmware. Try getting the firmware updated to
    at least v.7.80 if you have not already done so. (to check your firmware
    revision, press *#0000# on the keypad).

    Good luck!

    CU

    "Konfucius" <konfucius18NOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > I've been with Fido for the past four years and recently moved into a
    > 1st-floor apartment at 125 Bamburgh Circle here in northwest Toronto.
    Moving
    > was a chore, but my main concern is the lack of reception in my bedroom.
    I'm
    > lucky to get one bar on my Nokia 8390 and it's driving me crazy.
    >
    > I picked up a SonyEricsson Z200 for testing purposes and it's even worse.
    > The dilemma is: Do I buy a new phone and switch carriers (Rogers!!!)? Or
    do
    > I buy a better Fido phone (ie. SonyEricsson Z600 coming out this weekend)
    > with the hope of getting a decent reception in my new apartment?
    >
    > I'm calling on all you Fido experts to give me some advice.
    >
    > I'm desperate!
    >
    > [[[Konfucius]]]

    ---

    Not sure if this will help for you, but I've noticed when driving along the
    401 towards Montreal, my V60i picks up a useable signal noticably sooner
    than my 8390. Perhaps a phone like that would be able to pick up enough of
    a signal in your location

    "Konfucius" <konfucius18NOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > I've been with Fido for the past four years and recently moved into a
    > 1st-floor apartment at 125 Bamburgh Circle here in northwest Toronto.
    Moving
    > was a chore, but my main concern is the lack of reception in my bedroom.
    I'm
    > lucky to get one bar on my Nokia 8390 and it's driving me crazy.
    >
    > I picked up a SonyEricsson Z200 for testing purposes and it's even worse.
    > The dilemma is: Do I buy a new phone and switch carriers (Rogers!!!)? Or
    do
    > I buy a better Fido phone (ie. SonyEricsson Z600 coming out this weekend)
    > with the hope of getting a decent reception in my new apartment?
    >
    > I'm calling on all you Fido experts to give me some advice.
    >
    > I'm desperate!
    >
    > [[[Konfucius]]]

    if all else fails, goto Rogers. with the implemetation of 850 you're more
    than likely to get great building penetration.

    "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The Z200 is not the best RF performer, it is more of a "style" phone. If
    > you really want to see if another phone would help, try out a Siemens M55.
    > Also, the 8390 is know to have quite some bugs (including with reception),
    > if it does not have the right firmware. Try getting the firmware updated
    > at least v.7.80 if you have not already done so. (to check your firmware
    > revision, press *#0000# on the keypad).
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > CU
    >
    > "Konfucius" <konfucius18NOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > I've been with Fido for the past four years and recently moved into a
    > > 1st-floor apartment at 125 Bamburgh Circle here in northwest Toronto.
    > Moving
    > > was a chore, but my main concern is the lack of reception in my bedroom.
    > I'm
    > > lucky to get one bar on my Nokia 8390 and it's driving me crazy.
    > >
    > > I picked up a SonyEricsson Z200 for testing purposes and it's even
    worse.
    > > The dilemma is: Do I buy a new phone and switch carriers (Rogers!!!)? Or
    > do
    > > I buy a better Fido phone (ie. SonyEricsson Z600 coming out this
    weekend)
    > > with the hope of getting a decent reception in my new apartment?
    > >
    > > I'm calling on all you Fido experts to give me some advice.
    > >
    > > I'm desperate!
    > >
    > > [[[Konfucius]]]
    > >

    > ---

    Thanks for the info CU. I have v7.80 right now. Is there a higher version?

    [[[Konfucius]]]

    > The Z200 is not the best RF performer, it is more of a "style" phone. If
    > you really want to see if another phone would help, try out a Siemens M55.
    > Also, the 8390 is know to have quite some bugs (including with reception),
    > if it does not have the right firmware. Try getting the firmware updated
    > at least v.7.80 if you have not already done so. (to check your firmware
    > revision, press *#0000# on the keypad).
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > CU
    >
    > "Konfucius" <konfucius18NOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > I've been with Fido for the past four years and recently moved into a
    > > 1st-floor apartment at 125 Bamburgh Circle here in northwest Toronto.
    > Moving
    > > was a chore, but my main concern is the lack of reception in my bedroom.
    > I'm
    > > lucky to get one bar on my Nokia 8390 and it's driving me crazy.
    > >
    > > I picked up a SonyEricsson Z200 for testing purposes and it's even
    worse.
    > > The dilemma is: Do I buy a new phone and switch carriers (Rogers!!!)? Or
    > do
    > > I buy a better Fido phone (ie. SonyEricsson Z600 coming out this
    weekend)
    > > with the hope of getting a decent reception in my new apartment?
    > >
    > > I'm calling on all you Fido experts to give me some advice.
    > >
    > > I'm desperate!
    > >
    > > [[[Konfucius]]]
    > >

    > ---

    There is a newer version, v.8.00, but I don't know if Fido is offering it.
    Either way, v.7.80 usually fixes all issues with reception. I suggest you
    try another phone (a friend's, maybe), like an M55, which a proven RF
    performer. Also, take AndrewH's advice and call CS. They may be able to
    tweak the tower settings as he says.

    > Thanks for the info CU. I have v7.80 right now. Is there a higher version?
    >
    > [[[Konfucius]]]
    >

    > "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > The Z200 is not the best RF performer, it is more of a "style" phone.
    If
    > > you really want to see if another phone would help, try out a Siemens
    M55.
    > > Also, the 8390 is know to have quite some bugs (including with
    reception),
    > > if it does not have the right firmware. Try getting the firmware
    updated
    > > at least v.7.80 if you have not already done so. (to check your firmware
    > > revision, press *#0000# on the keypad).
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    > >
    > > CU
    > >
    > > "Konfucius" <konfucius18NOSPAM@rogers.com> wrote in message
    > > > I've been with Fido for the past four years and recently moved into a
    > > > 1st-floor apartment at 125 Bamburgh Circle here in northwest Toronto.
    > > Moving
    > > > was a chore, but my main concern is the lack of reception in my
    bedroom.
    > > I'm
    > > > lucky to get one bar on my Nokia 8390 and it's driving me crazy.
    > > >
    > > > I picked up a SonyEricsson Z200 for testing purposes and it's even
    > worse.
    > > > The dilemma is: Do I buy a new phone and switch carriers (Rogers!!!)?
    Or
    > > do
    > > > I buy a better Fido phone (ie. SonyEricsson Z600 coming out this
    > weekend)
    > > > with the hope of getting a decent reception in my new apartment?
    > > >
    > > > I'm calling on all you Fido experts to give me some advice.
    > > >
    > > > I'm desperate!
    > > >
    > > > [[[Konfucius]]]
    > > >

    > > ---

    ---