Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express -What Impact on Graphics?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 11, 2004 3:27:39 PM

I am waiting for the arrival of PCI express MB and Video cards to market (this summer?). I am wondering what the impact will be on the latest generation VPU's. I have heard that it is very beneficial to ATI's latest cards . Does any one know?

Thanxs!!!
May 11, 2004 3:39:07 PM

I doubt it'll make all that much difference except on super-high-res gaming, but who knows?

But chances are for most people it won't be worth mentioning.

a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2004 6:50:44 PM

What the Hell are you Taling about!

It's going to allow 64bit colour, 128X AA / 512X AF, and solve world hunger. :wink:

If you're not riding the PCI-EX highway you're in the slow lane!

Ok, seriously, like Cleeve says, no one knows yet. Some applications show minor improvement in the 4x vs 8x area, and 128 vs 256. Now both of those barriers may be breached shortly. Likely we will see more return from 256vs 512 sooner than simply 8x vs pci-ex; BUT there may be new opportunities to exploit this faster bidirectional path that wer just not possible before with AGP, even at 8X.

And also things like an HD AIW may need it.

I'm sure we'll get a whole bunch of reviews testing these theories as soon as the gear is available.

Could be an interesting year.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
Related resources
May 11, 2004 10:46:43 PM

Given the current CPU limits on the new VPU's I think it means a Processor and M.B. are my next purchase and THEN a new VPU. As I recall this is the first time that the Graphics Cards makers have left the processor manufacturers so far behind in performance. So it complicates forward looking decisions on what to purchase. PCI express is an additional piece in the puzzle.
a b U Graphics card
May 11, 2004 11:31:12 PM

If you are making a forward looking decision, then there is ONLY one choice, PCI-EX.

Neither ATI nor nV will release much more in the way of AGP after this line. They will become as rare as new PCI cards within about a year's time.

Sure you'll be able to buy one, but they will likely be based on the current and old designs or even only the current and old cards. Likely even the mid level PCI-EX cards next year will outperform the X800 and GF6800 despite possibly using far less than their max throughput. So if you plan on keeping that system for longer than a year, then the 'forward looking' thing is to get a PCI-EX equipped board, even if near term the bus itself isn't 'needed'. The cost effective solution may be something AGP based though depending on your designs.

Of course that's just my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
!