Cannot burn CD's using ANY program!? PART: 2

For those that have read my previous message regarding my CD/DVD
Burner no longer burning CD's, here's what I have founds since:

The actual error message was "Power Calibration Error".

From searching Google, I found that the main cause of this is "bad
media". So I tried burning a DVD instead using one of my Memorex
DVD+R's and it burned perfectly without a problem! I also verified
that the drive is READING discs perfectly as well, with no problems.

So I'm assuming that the last batch of blank CD-R's I bought, which I
will admit are not the most expensive, are bad. I have used this
brand before with no problems but I guess I just got a bad batch or
something. Or maybe this company is using ink that's not as good or
reliable as before.

So far out of the 50-pack, only ONE has burned completely, and even
the first song on that disc malfunctions after 5 seconds and won't
play, but the other songs after that are fine. The other 12 or so
blanks that I have tried have all failed, all of them almost
immediately after starting to burn.

Even though my burner is still under Warranty until the middle of
July, I'm glad that it appears to be fine. I am going to buy a single
blank CD-R(TDK, Sony, Memorex or Maxell) later on today just to make
sure that it was indeed just bad media.
1 answer Last reply
More about cannot burn program part

    It would be very unusual to find "bad media" these days, even with the
    so-called generic brands of blank disks. I have never known anyone who had
    bad disks. I have used disks from Office Depot, Staples, Sony, TDK and
    Memorex and have never encountered a bad disk. All the errors and failed
    burns I have experienced have been the result of a mistake on my part or a
    software problem or conflict.

    A friend of mine, who is an engineer at a private disk duplication
    contractor in L.A., buys disks by the thousands per month. He is currently
    using a disk manufactured in Taiwan that costs about one fourth the price of
    name brand disks like TDK or Memorex. His company just completed a job for
    60,000 disks and only had a failure rate of one disk per thousand. This is
    a multiple burning operation and not a stamping facility like those used to
    produce mainstream audio disks or games. Those failures were due to errors
    in the manufacturing process that mostly involved mechanical failures of one
    kind or another. The disk did not seat properly, the disk was scratched by
    machinery, the disk was contaminated and so on.

    Software errors were responsible for about one third of the total failures.
    Check your settings for burning CD-R's just to make sure something hasn't
    gone bonkers when you weren't looking.

    "bigbossfan80" <deanbrnz@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
    > For those that have read my previous message regarding my CD/DVD
    > Burner no longer burning CD's, here's what I have founds since:
    >
    > The actual error message was "Power Calibration Error".
    >
    > From searching Google, I found that the main cause of this is "bad
    > media". So I tried burning a DVD instead using one of my Memorex
    > DVD+R's and it burned perfectly without a problem! I also verified
    > that the drive is READING discs perfectly as well, with no problems.
    >
    > So I'm assuming that the last batch of blank CD-R's I bought, which I
    > will admit are not the most expensive, are bad. I have used this
    > brand before with no problems but I guess I just got a bad batch or
    > something. Or maybe this company is using ink that's not as good or
    > reliable as before.
    >
    > So far out of the 50-pack, only ONE has burned completely, and even
    > the first song on that disc malfunctions after 5 seconds and won't
    > play, but the other songs after that are fine. The other 12 or so
    > blanks that I have tried have all failed, all of them almost
    > immediately after starting to burn.
    >
    > Even though my burner is still under Warranty until the middle of
    > July, I'm glad that it appears to be fine. I am going to buy a single
    > blank CD-R(TDK, Sony, Memorex or Maxell) later on today just to make
    > sure that it was indeed just bad media.

Burner CD-Rom Windows XP