Tried to install WinXP again after power went out, but not..

Hello,
I'm trying to install WinXP again after the Power went out and messed up the
install process. When I tried to continue, it kept saying there was an error
on the HD.

So I like to just do a clean wipe of the HD and do a clean install again.
But when I try to format the HD with a bootable floppy, it says that is has
completed the format . But when I check the directory, the contents are still
there. And so when I run the WinXP CD again, the computer trys to continue
where if left off before the power outage, but it doesn't work of course.

No matter how I try to format the drive, it never becomes ereased, even when
I used the drive in another machine with Partition Magic and tried to delete
the parition. Even when I used FDisk, it still acted as if deleted
everything, but it was still there when I checked the directory. Somehow it
looks as if there a protection on the HD to prevent me from erasing anything.

Is there something special I need to use to erase the HD completely ? All I
want is to start over again for something that didn't get a chance to finish
in the first place.

thanks,
Dan
1 answer Last reply
More about tried install winxp power

    In news:418102D2-4504-48CC-B84F-A1E4C18E9E3C@microsoft.com,
    Ragooman <Ragooman@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hello,
    > I'm trying to install WinXP again after the Power went out and messed
    > up the install process. When I tried to continue, it kept saying
    > there was an error on the HD.
    >
    > So I like to just do a clean wipe of the HD and do a clean install
    > again. But when I try to format the HD with a bootable floppy, it
    > says that is has completed the format . But when I check the
    > directory, the contents are still there. And so when I run the WinXP
    > CD again, the computer trys to continue where if left off before the
    > power outage, but it doesn't work of course.
    >
    > No matter how I try to format the drive, it never becomes ereased,
    > even when I used the drive in another machine with Partition Magic
    > and tried to delete the parition. Even when I used FDisk, it still
    > acted as if deleted everything, but it was still there when I checked
    > the directory. Somehow it looks as if there a protection on the HD to
    > prevent me from erasing anything.
    >
    > Is there something special I need to use to erase the HD completely ?
    > All I want is to start over again for something that didn't get a
    > chance to finish in the first place.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Dan

    How to partition and format a hard disk in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

    Galen

HD Windows XP